Gander feeling amorous

Rayasun

In the Brooder
Oct 15, 2017
I have two Ganders (one Embdem and one Chinese cross). I got both my boys when they were a year old. They are not terribly social boys with people but they look after my chickens very well. Anyway, not sure how to explain but my Embdem "attacked" me today. He grabbed a hold of my arm. He wasn't mean about it but I figured out his intent real quick! I grabbed his neck and told him off a bit (it's pretty funny now I'm thinking about it). My question is why would he do something like this ( I do t want to add females to my flock just yet) and how do I go about really discouraging that behavior?
Ah this is something I never thought I'd have to type out lol
Attached is a pic of him in transport. Sorry I don't have a better pic.

Attachments

• received_1439828449387091.jpeg
    received_1439828449387091.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 7
Welcome to BYC

What your seeing is the beginning of hormone activity and it can really change their attitude. I have an Embden gander and he is like night and day when his hormones kick in. Here usually late winter.
You def want to nip this behavior in the bud fast so I am going to give you this link.
It may seem harsh but geese can really bite and hurt so you really don't want to let this get out of hand.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/geese-training.561849/#post-7245388

I will definitely nip this behavior in the bud!
I've been very diligent about putting both boys in their place. It just struck me as extremely odd, as he had been preening me right before he tried to mount my arm! After I grabbed his neck and scolded him he looked so contrite. Out of the two boys he's the sociable one and has always felt comfortable coming close without posturing.

Welcome to BYC

What your seeing is the beginning of hormone activity and it can really change their attitude. I have an Embden gander and he is like night and day when his hormones kick in. Here usually late winter.
You def want to nip this behavior in the bud fast so I am going to give you this link.
It may seem harsh but geese can really bite and hurt so you really don't want to let this get out of hand.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/geese-training.561849/#post-7245388
Thank you the link! I really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom