Gander FIGHTING!! HELP!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by echix, Sep 24, 2011.

1. echix

echix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    TEXAS
    I have 8 geese. Breakdown: 2 Ganders Toulouse, 1 Goose that Loves Everyone-NANNA Pilgrim!, 1 Embden Goose that doesn't care about anything or anyone (EASY GOING) and 4 8 month old goslings from Nanna (2 Pilgrim, 1 Pied Pomeranian and 1 Cross-Beak Toulouse named "BILL". I would kill anyone who even thought about hurting Bill (not the point here though). Everyone is grown up and getting along in life. Days have their routine. BUT --- Gander problems! Clyde is constantly attacking Louie!

Where do I start --- I NEED HELP!!! PEACE ON THE FARM!!!

I'll start with night. I put Clyde and Bonnie (Embden) up separately in same coop with separation partition (wire). They sleep together and go up in pen together before going in coop just before dark so Louie and the rest of the flock can peacefully enjoy evening and then go up in their part of the coop.

All night Clyde pulls on wire and makes noise trying to get through screen to Louie. Off and on.

Morning I let Louie and Nanna and the 4 grown goslings (girls) out first ... they run around honking and doing their morning thing for 5 minutes and then I let Clyde and Bonnie out. Bonnie goes to tub to bathe or pond. She DGAS Doesn't give a S)#$( about everyone she does her own thing but keeps Clyde company.

When I let Clyde out he runs around honking, the whole group (louie too) runs to clyde and they all honk and flap around and fly to the pond.... then during the day Clyde starts keeping Louie at a distance. 15 feet away from group. Clyde gives Louie the eye if Louie even thinks about coming in the shade under the tree to lay wit hthe group. Clyde won't let Louie eat with everyone else - gives him the eye again!

Sometimes Clyde runs at Louie (who is MUCH LARGER THAN CLYDE) and Louie runs away - Clyde chases him to a distance and then runs back to the group squaking like "I'm the KING!" and on occasion Clyde grabs Louie (this I have a problem with!) in the middle of the back and then just starts hitting him with his wings. Sometimes Louie runs into the pond and dives and gets away - others I have had to grab Clyde (who is in a TRANCE of mad rage and doesn't even know when to stop even after I've grabbed him off Louie) and pry his beak open and off Louie... Louie runs away and Clyde is like sitting there in shock and then snaps to and wants to go to the group and celebrate which I DO NOT LET HIM DO - he goes timeout or sits with me for a minute until he snaps out of it.

What is going on here? I konw 2 ganders and all but still others have flocks of ganders that get along. Many many ganders in one flock that get along. Louie was my first goose/gander. I got Nanna and Clyde to keep company. Needed another female and got Bonnie (again who doesn't care about any of this crap) and Nanna and Louie hatched/sat raised 4 goslings. Clyde was in isolation with Bonnie during all that as Bonnie sat a nest that didn't hatch (she's new). When all went out together Clyde became obnoxious freak that won't leave Louie alone and wants to hog all the geese (women) to himself. Clyde is rough when mating, pulls head feathers but is a fierce protector and great alpha gander but a freak!!!

Can't find anyone to take clyde..... no one around here wants a gander. Can't keep separating them at night/etc. It's too much work and watching all day long to see if Clyde has Louie down is killing me and I am tired of jumping in the pond to separate them!! Clyde had a hard life before I got him. He weighed nothing and had no chest feathers! I wnat a good home for him and am trying to give him one and he is a great Toulouse Gander but still.... WHAT DO I DO HERE to make peace on the farm?!! Clyde freaks if I put him in a pen alone or even with Bonnie during the day - jumps up and down ramming the fence trying to get out hurting himself. Can't stand to be away from the flock - separation anxiety and just too much trauma before I got him I guess who knows what happened or abuse he had.

Any serious suggestions or ideas on fixing this -- PLEASE we need help here it is disrupting our family and we'd rehome him but no good takers right now. We will not abandon him.

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  2. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi there [​IMG]

Im afraid its not an easy situation and in a way you've already answered your own question - Clyde is the Alpha male. He sounds a very good bird at fulfilling his role as the number one gander protecting his flock. Although he seems rough at mating in reality he's a hot blooded male but you would need to watch the aggression doesnt go too far and cause tissue damage to the females heads.

At the moment I think your life would be easier if you confined Louie with a female down the pecking order, certainly not one of Clydes favoured ladies! That way Louie may be more content to be confined as he is the submissive male. Clyde will simply continue his behaviour of trying to break out if confined to be with his harem - its simply his nature to fulfill his role as the lead male.

By confining Louie a general peace should be restored while you consider re-homing Clyde. Its unfortunate when an Alpha Gander takes his aggression to such extremes, especially out of the breeding season.

Sorry I cant be of more help.

Pete [​IMG]

3. echix

echix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    TEXAS
    Thanks Pete! I'm totally bummed..... [​IMG]

It's the same routine like clockwork on the minute day in and day out! Clyde did get a hold of Bonnie's head last year and after days and days of his mating he tore off feathers and she had a bad spot on her head - I put neosporin on it and it cleared up but she sat up on nest at that time too so no clyde probably did the trick.

I've gotta find a home for Clyde. He's a great gander but Louie is the more calm one and I just don't want to worry about Clyde getting freakier!

How disappointing.... why can't they all just get along?!

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Did you get Nanna and Clyde from the same person? It sounds like Clyde believes Nanna and her brood are 'his'.

5. sanctus7

sanctus7 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2008
    kent
    I am so glad you posted this.
    I have two females and two male geese. Today the male is attacking everyone, including the welsh harlequin drakes. This morning he attacked the other gander when he took a piece of bread from my hand. He grabbed onto the back of the other gander and would not let go:(
    I have never witness this type of behavior before so I am glad to see this is to be expected.
    Maybe Pete can tell me if getting another female for the Beta gander will help. The Alpha male has already put his dibs on the two females.
    How many females can a gander take as a mate??

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:2 or 3 at the most. I only have a gander and Muscovy ducks, and my Emden gander was hatched by one of the Muscovy ducks, they are as close as 2 geese, he is fierce with my drakes as he would be if they were other ganders, they have learned to leave his mate/mother alone and stay clear of him, but it took time, there were some bloody fights at first but no serious injuries. After saying all of this it would probably be better if you got 2 more geese for you gander that way if the Alpha claims one of the new ones your gander will still have one.

7. sanctus7

Dec 23, 2008
    kent
    Thank you Miss Lydia for your answer.
    This just happened within the last few days..it has been crazy. Alpha gander is beating up the welsh harlequin drakes when they tried to mount a female duck:(
    The young female that he is trying to claim is actually his offspring so I may have to separate the young female with beta gander and put them both in the chicken coop until I can get two more females.
    I was planning on purchasing two greys from Holderead's in the Spring but may have to move quicker.
    Thanks so much!

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:As far as breeding goes it won't matter if he mates with his off spring, but I would separate them until you can find a few more geese. That doesn't mean there still won't be confrontations, but hopefully they will work it out amongst themselves. They had to do it here and it's working now.

9. sanctus7

Dec 23, 2008
    kent
    Update: I have separated the pairs, now I have an occasional fight and I have noticed that when I come running they break up.
    My one male has a death wish out for the welshie drake. Poor guy has no feathers on the back of his neck from this "houdini" gander who finds a way into his pen and beats the
    trash out of him.
    Any suggestions?

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Glad to hear you have restored some peace to the flock, now to figure out how Houdini is getting into and after the drake. can you get a product called Blue-Kote? might be called something else over there but it sprays out purple so becareful when using it. but it helps to heal and disquise if you need that too. So far my 2 Drakes and gander are staying clear of each other but in previous years as soon as spring is in the air all H would break out. I hope you can find how your gander is getting to your drake and maybe all will be well till fall when everyone goes back to normal lol I read that geese hold grudges so these 2 may never be able to be together again. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by