Gander getting out of control

a green horn

Hatching
Jun 8, 2015
My gander lately doesn't want to go in the barn. We've had to pick him up and put him in there. Tonight I picked him up, carried him over, and set him down. He turned around and attacked me. I grabbed hold of him so he couldn't move (the few times he's tried that before, grabbing sends him running off squawking) tonight after I released him, he went after me again. I know he's lonely. My 2 female geese and 6 ducks were all killed by a fox last summer. Never seen him behave like this. Occasional, let's see if I can be the boss but nothing like this. Right now as far as I'm concerned, he wants to be outside, he can be and take his chances with the night predators. He gets any worse his goose will be cooked. Any ideas or suggestions?

Lots of ganders do this during breeding season,my gander does it,and many other do it.He needs a friend,or a mate,geese are flock animals.Keep trying the chasing and pinning down method and maybe just maybe he will quite down.

I did buy 2 baby geese and some ducks a month ago. Although I think 1 of the geese will have to go. I think 1 is a male and the other a female.
But he'll have companions to run with in a few more months. Can't let them run free until they get where they won't be hawk bait. But we do have that 1 large hawk that does take out full grown chickens. Haven't seen him in the last couple weeks.

Back
Top Bottom