gander gone broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Birde, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Birde

Birde Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2012
    My goose won't sit on her eggs? My duck just hatched some eggs & my goose Lucy is mad. I'm afraid she will kill them. My gander is now sitting on her eggs. I don't live in a zoo. It's more a circus. :/

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I know, breeding and nesting season can have such drama! You might want to some how separate mad Lucy from mama duck and ducklings.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Lucy may be more thinking that those kids should belong to her. Separation is a good idea.

4. Birde

Apr 17, 2012
    I decided to take the babies for now. I put them in a large pet taxie in the sun while she range feeds. She needs the exercise & I have thing to do. She is staying close.

5. Birde

Apr 17, 2012
    Gander gave up the nest to come see the new babies. I don't understand why Lucy won't sit. Well the duckies hatching lit a fire under my hubby & he finished my new breeding safe house. :weee I don't want to take those babies away from her yet. Most are promised but I'll let her keep a few. This was her first hatch & she did so well.14 eggs 13 hatched. When she took them on there first walk it was so cute til Lucy stepped in. Then the cats circled. I was certain to lose some then. I tried running them off but they circled around & I screamed for help. She has stayed with them most off the day & they learned to drink & started to eat. Tonight it will be in the 40s so I will pack the whole crew in for the night. I wish I could figure out how to send pics with messages :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by