Gander has a swollen breast?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Little Tuppens, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Little Tuppens

Little Tuppens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2012
    I have a Pilgrim gander, just about 6 months old who isn't doing well this evening. He was just sitting on the ground, and when he gets up he moves very slowly, and his breast/crop area seems swollen. It doesn't feel hard or squishy, just bigger- enough that it's obvious, if that makes sense. His eyes are bright, nasal looks normal, I don't hear any rattling/respiratory anything, he's just 'off'. Moving very slowly, he was WAY to easy to catch [​IMG]. He was fine yesterday, and the rest of his gaggle (mom, dad, and 2 sisters) are acting fine and normal tonight.
    I'd appreciate any advice. We sure do hate to see our Mr. Bean sad/sick.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. Little Tuppens

Sep 12, 2012
    Okay. I'm going to go google leaking airsacks. Thanks for the advice.

4. Little Tuppens

Sep 12, 2012
    Thanks! I did some reading, and I think that's exactly what it is (though not as bad as some of what I'm seeing). I am not at all confident, having never experienced this before, to stick a sterile needle in him. It says it sometimes resolves itself? Either way, I'm going to hope and pray that he's okay through the night and get a hold of the avian vet in the morning. She can 'pop' him, and I'll learn what to do in case it happens again [​IMG].
    Thanks again for the quick insights! I appreciate it [​IMG]

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You are welcome. Keep us posted after your vet visit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by