Gander has lost his mate

Ellen E

Hatching
Jun 12, 2016
Hi, I'm new here. I do have some lovely chickens but I'm here to ask for some advice about my geese. I have only had them for six months. They were both two years old and had been a pair from a young age. Yesterday I had a rare day out and a neighbour called to day my goose 'Peper' had become entangled in the fox proof fence and was strangled. I have had no problems with this fence before. I am so upset as is my gander. He is really un-happy today hiding away in his house. I'm not sure what I should do next, I don't want him to be on his own but will he accept another female and should it be a adult or could I put a young female in? Should I do it sooner rather than later or give him some time to get over Pepper. Any help will be greatly received. Thank you

Hi, I'm new here. I do have some lovely chickens but I'm here to ask for some advice about my geese. I have only had them for six months. They were both two years old and had been a pair from a young age. Yesterday I had a rare day out and a neighbour called to day my goose 'Peper' had become entangled in the fox proof fence and was strangled. I have had no problems with this fence before. I am so upset as is my gander. He is really un-happy today hiding away in his house. I'm not sure what I should do next, I don't want him to be on his own but will he accept another female and should it be a adult or could I put a young female in? Should I do it sooner rather than later or give him some time to get over Pepper. Any help will be greatly received. Thank you

Hopefully you have removed the dead goose already so he doesn't keep seeing it. And you should be able to get him a new companion. I wouldn't give it goslings though and expect him to provide and take care of them. I'd try 3+ months old or more. What better way to get over a girl than to get him a better girl?

I'd had the opposite of you, where the gander died, and I've gave the female to another male who already had a mate. He would mount both females. Then later, I changed her to another gander again for breeding purposes. I guess my goose was pretty domesticated and she didn't care.

I've also read an article before where the gander passed away leaving mother goose and her gosling behind. She had to raise the gosling alone. Then someone with another pair had the female pass away. She brought the lonely sad Gander over over to the widow goose and her baby. They instantly clicked and started cuddling each other. They accepted each other and the gander took the goslings as his own. A new happy family was formed.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. We buried Pepper as soon as we got home. Since I was last on here I have put another gander in and they acted as though have known each other for years
1f60a.png
. I will look to get them some females in the future but I'm just glad that my boy is settled again and happy for now.

Back
Top Bottom