1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gander Pecked Hole In Goose Head

Discussion in 'Geese' started by ellenmartin, Jun 19, 2011.

1. ellenmartin

ellenmartin Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    My goose is setting on her eggs. Her gander keeps going in and pulling on her head to get her off the nest to go walk/eat/etc. He did it when they were mating.

For a long time it was just feathers missing... just now he pulled hard enough on her that it is a little bloody and broke the skin!!!!!!!!!

She is sitting on her eggs and he keeps going in there. I can't really separate him tonight - don't have anywhere to put him right now but can work on that tmorrow.

What can I put on her head? If he pecks or pulls at it again and gets some in his mouth is that bad if I use neosporin or should I use something like "no pick" that we use on the chickens?

Any ideas advice or HELP PLEASE?????????? Her poor head...... there was a photo on here wit hsomeone who had the same thing a while back, can't find it.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Any chance you can put a cage around her?

You can try putting some Neosporin on the wound. If there is no light during the night, I wouldn't think that he would be bothering her. In the morning though, that may be another story. Any way you can put up a board to block his access to her? I am assuming they are in a coop. Can you lock him out? Can you put him in a dog kennel? Just throwing out ideas here. I hope things get better!! I also hope that someone who has some experience comes along. My geese are only 9 weeks old and my ducks have not had these types of issues.

3. ellenmartin

ellenmartin Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Thanks for the response... I will do something in the morning and see what I can come up with. He is so anxious and bored it is day 28 for her and he is flipping out!!

4. BirdBrain

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Atleast his wait is almost over.

5. BirdBrain

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Atleast his wait is almost over.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by