Gander tried mating ME!!!

hellfire

Songster
8 Years
Nov 5, 2013
Plymouth Devon UK
Bit disgusting but he did!! Last May as our flick on the farm was getting smaller and older I decided to hand raise a few to stop the aggressive behaviour. Great guard dogs on the farm (much to the dogs disgust). I took 5 eggs incubated and all 5 hatched! I only kept two as I thought there was only two females and didn't want more aggressive males. Well turns out I have a male and female. He's started mating his sister so won't allow eggs to hatch. He's become VERY aggressive to anyone but me even though he's seen these people since day one. He's always been fine with me but lately a bit stand offish eyeing me up quivering when I stroke him. Today him and his sister were eating out my hand I was giving them a fuss. He started pushing his hand into my hand and lap and preening me how he used to. THEN he tried to mount me! At first I thought he was trying to get on my lap like they all used to and have a nap. Then u realised. I pushed him off and he went round my back and tried climbing on! Is this normal for hand raised? I'm not sure what breed they are as we always had embden but had a bi coloured goose dumped last year and the eggs cane from her. My females like mum brown and white. Some X breed? Can I stop him being aggressive to my family and friends and stop him mounting me? What a out his sister!???

Males can get very aggressive during the spring season.The mating behavior might be a sign of dominance.I wouldn't tolerate that.You need to show him your boss.You dont need to be physical with him a lot of people on here have good luck with spreading there arms and hissing at the goose when he try's to make a move.Best thing to do is not to back down.

Good thread on dealing with male geese
-
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/geese-training.561849/

Ha don't worry I didn't tolerate that! That's what Ive told everyone to do spread their arms and hiss and he backs down in the end but my poor OH now has seriously hurt his knee from the last attack on him. Could be jelouse? It's odd as my parrot try's it on with my hand all the time too!!! What is it that I send out to birds!!??? I'm not even big breasted

Ever time I go out he's now trying it on with me. I ended up gently but firmly getting his neck today and pushing him back into the river as I was down cleaning out but buckets etc. After 15mins of doing that everytime he STILL came straight back to try me again! In the end I had to walk off as had jobs to do. I hisses and lunged with arms open and he looked shocked but STILL as soon as I stopped was over again!

When my gander is being ornery with me not wanting to mate because he has a mate but he is in hormonal craziness I lay him on his belly holding his neck so he can’t get up or reach around an bite me I straddle him so he can’t get up he’s strong. Once he is down and still I let him up and he behaves usually till the next day then we start all over again! Lol Main thing when training them to respect you is to be consistent. and always let him go with his head pointing away from you.

Last edited:
When my gander is being inert with me not wanting to mate because he has a mate but he is in hormonal craziness I lay him on his belly holding his neck so he can’t get up or reach around an bite me I straddle him so he can’t get up he’s strong. Once he is down and still I let him up and he behaves usually till the next day then we start all over again! Lol
Will try that one see if he finally buggers off. He has a mate so don't understand why he wants me!!?? I'm mum for goodness sake! I raised him and his siblings from a egg and appreciate the love they have for me but he's crossed a line ha ha. Thanks for that tip let's hope he gives up and let's me go about my work in peace. Don't mind them following me as they like to see what I'm doing all the time but he even tried climbing up my leg when I was cleaning the chicken coop. Got a nasty bruise when his preening got too hard and it was a bite as tried ignoring him.

Update. He's still try's it on a bit but we are getting there. I've learnt his behaviour now just before he starts getting frisky. He comes over and they both like to be near me when I'm down there but once he starts arching his neck and vibrating a bit I push him off and say no. He now backs off and has a honk of disappointment but doesn't get nasty about it now at least. At first he'd bite if I didn't stay still or I told him off. My female goose isn't looking right at the moment just seems depressed and sat a lot not eating much and hasn't laid in a few days. Going to separate them and check for a egg stuck. I tried earlier but the male decided that meant game on two for one!!

Back
Top Bottom