Gander with 2 geese and 2 sets of goslings attacking one set

Discussion in 'Geese' started by purecaboose, Oct 18, 2016.

1. purecaboose

purecaboose New Egg

Oct 18, 2016
    Hi,

I have an issue that I have not had before with my new flocks. I had a large flock about 20 years ago with several genders and geese and every year there was goslings that were looked after in a communal manner by everyone.

We started again in our new place with some rescue geese, first the female (Sammy) who laid an unfertilised clutch due to not having a gander around.

This year we picked up a second goose and a gander who were already a pair. They never really bonded/got on with the original goose (Sammy), but were tolerant of each other. The worse was the two females with the new addition (Gertie) going out of her way to be mean to Sammy.

Once Gertie was on her nest, Sammy and the Gander had a nice romantic swim in the pond and then Sammy went to nest as well. We were hoping that the magic happened and both would have goslings, and we were right.

Now we have the issue where Gertie and Freddie (the gander) look after their 7 goslings very well, but if Sammy and her 4 (who hatched a few weeks later) are up and about then Gertie forces Sammy away from her goslings and bites them on the neck and head until we intervene and split them up back with their respective mothers.

Sammy is not bothered by Gerties goslings, she will push them back to Gertie if they come over to her.

We have erected a temporary wall in the main goose pen (it looks like Berlin in the 80's) with the two females eyeing each other off over the wall like the cold war all over again. We don't want to have to fence off our entire 2 acres into east and west, is there something we can do to encourage them to all get along and raise the 11 goslings together or will I need to roll out the barb wire and concrete wall?

Help me please :)

Greg

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Sounds like they are going to have to be separated for this year at least and see how they get a long next year.

3. purecaboose

purecaboose New Egg

Oct 18, 2016
    We have pulled down the fences in the main yard now as it is impossible to move around when you have to either take the long way or climb over a fence. Especially when carry 2-3 Kangaroos at the time.

There is mostly peace, however on occasion (a few times a day) I need to out and settle a territory dispute, usually Gertie having a go at Sammy and her goslings.

We will keep working on the peace accord, at night they are locked in separate pens, although Gertie still has a go and Sammy through the wire.

Sigh

Greg

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Your serious you have kangaroos too?

5. purecaboose

purecaboose New Egg

Oct 18, 2016
    Super Serious :)

We have 3 eastern grey kangaroo joes in care at the moment, as well as 4 ring tail possums. The possums will be released in about 3 months and the roos will stay with us for another 8-9 months before release back into the wild.

Greg

6. donkeydew2farms

donkeydew2farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2014
    That is so cool. I have to separate my geese during breeding season my one gander was breeding both females. I think they will fight over the babies if they have any this year. my ganders were attacking ever thing even my donkeys. hopefuly when the babies get older they will calm down. good luck.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Aww I would love to see some pics. Do yall do rehab? sounds like you do. I know this is the goose thread but it needs some living up, it gets pretty dead this time of year. [​IMG]

8. purecaboose

purecaboose New Egg

Oct 18, 2016
    We run a rescue and rehabilitation centre here, called Dimmocks Retreat :)

Just got notified that I am expanding to include a 1kg brush tail possum baby tomorrow, time to go and prep the aviary for the new arrival.

On the geese front, the paired goose keeps chasing the solitary goose around the yard for about an hour after they are first let out. But once you go and let them know who is boss they generally calm down. Otherwise it is into the sin bin for them :)

It has worked well so far, not too many fights between families. Although the neighbours probably think I am cracked after I have to pin the male and then do the victory dance of awesomeness (think kilted male with long hair and beard dancing around the yard like a goose)

Cheers

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] I bet that's a sight.

How rewarding doing rehab for orphaned animals. If you ever get time we'd love some pics. [​IMG]

10. purecaboose

purecaboose New Egg

Oct 18, 2016
    Pics of the animals or of me in the kilt dancing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by