Gander with Swelling under beak

Discussion in 'Geese' started by clmschke, Feb 17, 2014.

1. clmschke

clmschke Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    Southern Wisconsin
    Morning all! This morning as I let the beasties out, I was doing the usual scanning of the flock and noticed that Ronson has a swelling under his beak. He's a juvenile male African who's entering his adolescence. We'll corner him and bring him in for a checkup later, once the blizzard stops blowing to see what it is and what we should do about it.

In preparation, I remember seeing a post here or somewhere online about a goose who had impacted grain in the lower beak that had grown infectious. Does anyone else remember that? And where can I find it? I appreciate it. My memory remembers seeing stuff, just not where I saw it.

Pictures when we get a hold of him. He's free-range since hatching. This ought to be fun!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I looked in the archives and can't find anything but I do remember some one posting about that one you mentioned and also about a goose that had a piece of stick stuck under it's tongue.

3. clmschke

Jul 2, 2012
    Southern Wisconsin
    Yeah, it had some pretty hideous pictures to show how to care for such an issue.

My thoughts right now are to immobilize, irrigate with water, check for infection and then irrigate with some diluted peroxide once. Isolation might not be a good thing with him being free-range as he is. We will see.

EDIT: I found this at another site:
    http://poultrykeeperforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=533&start=10

About compacted grass under the tongue. It seems as though irrigation to clean it out would be the best thing. I'm not so sure it would need to be sutured. If it does, it will have to wait until the snow stops...again.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Only problem they shouldn't swallow the peroxide.
    That's a good site i go there often when i have questions. I can find answers for here.

5. clmschke

Jul 2, 2012
    Southern Wisconsin
    Yeah, I hadn't thought of that. ...the peroxide thing.
    Snow's done for now and we corralled Ronson and brought him inside. He's named Ronson..Son of Ron. He's got a brother; Sissysan, Son of Sissy. We got real imaginative with their names.
    [​IMG]
    This is the best look at what I saw that made me bring him in. Further inspection and it's just a flap of skin...a dewlap. All of our Africans are Production Africans so we don't have dewlaps on them. He was NOT....HAPPY! and proceeded to screech about this to both of us.
    [​IMG]
    Dave got to take him back to the Goose Pen. While he was captive, I also checked out his feet and such. He's fine....our 2nd biggest gander. He's as tall as our biggest gander, Percy, but lacks the magnificent Dandy of a knob yet.
    All in all.. a good day. I'm very glad he's fine.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That is great news! I know you all are very relieved. He probably thought you were inviting him for dinner. [​IMG]

7. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

I'm glad everything worked out, and that hes none the worse for wear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by