ganders are excluding a goose

Discussion in 'Geese' started by bellbird, Jan 18, 2017.

1. bellbird

bellbird Just Hatched

Hi, I bought what I was told was a pair of embden geese 15 months ago to only discover they were both ganders ( the uncles) when a year had passed with no goslings. I then bought a pair of pilgrams so there would be no mistake and 3 pilgram goslings 2 geese and a gander, The ' uncles' took over the goslings immediately we allowed them to free range at bout 6 weeks ( we got them at 3 days). The uncles were not very friendly with the pilgram couple and chased them if they got too close. However once they had the goslings they "allowed" the pilgrams to assist by walking in the front of the line while they took up the rear guard. I now have noticed that they are keeping the pilgram goose at a distinct distance from the flock at least 3-4 meters. They only chase her partner away when we feed them bread. I'm concerned he stays with the uncles and not her. My concerns are will they protect her as a flock if she is under threat, and when she has goslings I'm worried the uncles will steal them from her. Any advice or previous experience with this sort of behavior???

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Personally I would get rid of or "the uncles" or pen them up separately. They are likely to keep causing more harm than good.

3. bellbird

bellbird Just Hatched

Thanks for that advice, they all free range across 100 acres with our lowline cattle. I was beginning to think that I may have to give the uncles away to settle things down before we get anymore goslings, I guess they would be too old to eat now at 27 moths ?
    Kym

4. Gray Farms

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Ya they'd be a little old to roast now. Could make jerky out of them. I've done it myself with older geese and turkeys.

5. bellbird

bellbird Just Hatched

What about in a slow cooker ?

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    a slow cooker will tender up all kinds of meat. What about finding them a home if possible.

7. Gray Farms

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Slow cooker would work. Be sure to keep plenty of moisture to them.

8. bellbird

bellbird Just Hatched

We found them a home where all waterfowl are welcome on a nice big dam they also won't get to be so bossy there with all the other geese.They went yesterday but much to my horror the goose's
    own gander that she arrived with has taken over where the uncles left off and is shooing her away from the goslings & himself. I do hope he will allow her back with the flock eventually has anyone seen this sort of thing happen before ?

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How many geese do you have now? Is this goose the mother of the goslings?I know my gander was papa goose to all Muscovy ducklings hatched here before we got him a female goose. But he has never isolated his mate from himself.

10. bellbird

bellbird Just Hatched

The goslings (Gabrielle, Gizzelle & Gary) came with the pair of adult pilgrams (Gus & Gertrude) at 3 days old. They were not from the pilgrams as far as I know and they were incubated. We raised them to 6 weeks & gradually let them spend more time with the adult geese. The uncles ( Gavin & Gerard) were obsessed with them (the goslings), even coming in the house to find them. They were very protective of them. We just lost the male gosling, Gary to a snake bite augh!!!!. So now I notice the pilgram gander is no longer excluding his mate.( Gary used to exclude her as well head down running & hissing) So at the moment I have only one gander to look after 3 geese and am wondering if I should get another gander to help Gus out ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by