1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ganders fighting?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Orcae, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Orcae

Orcae Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    We have 3 adult female African/Chinese geese, and 1 adult male.
    They hatched out 1 male and 1 female, which we're hand raising.
    We're getting conflicting information as to whether or not the father will fight with his son once his son is older.
    I don't want to take the chance - I'd much rather keep the two babies separate from their parents forever. I've seen too many animals end up fighting and heartbroken owners having to rehome one of them.
    Mom insists they wont fight, but then again, she also insisted that the 4 adults wouldn't get aggressive...which they have, very much so. So I'm not sure if I can trust her on that.

Are the father/son likely to fight, or would it be okay to let them have access to each other?

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    It is highly likely that they will fight. Probably mostly during breeding season, but squabbles can arise during other times of the year, too. Just because one is the son of the other does not mean anything to the geese. They do not rationalize like humans, another adult male is competition for breeding rights regardless of his relation.

Honestly, though, it's normal goose behavior. I don't see any reason to keep them separate just to avoid what geese do. They are social birds and thrive even despite the occasional battle. It is simply part of their establishment of hierarchy within the gaggle. If they get to going at it and you feel they need to be broken up it's not that hard to do. They get very fixated on one another during a fight and won't really notice you butting in. You can then put one in time out for a bit and once back together usually they don't go back to it. Most fights however, work themselves out without any intervention.

3. misfitfarm

misfitfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Lorimor, Iowa
    I have two male chinese and they fuss and bite and defeather each other on a regular basis. Biggest source of fighting is who gets the pool while the other has to watch. They are bonded and where one goes so does the other. I don't see a problem with keeping them. I would

4. n4zty

n4zty Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    fighting between ganders is normal the idea here is to expect it and accept it! its what folks here call the pecking order even roosters do it. all they doing establishing ranks amoung them. dont worry it isnt like one of them is gonna go to a pawn shop and buy a .357 mag and shoot the other just let them handle their business. [​IMG]

worst case scenario:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh maaaaan. While I recognize the ending of that video as a worst case scenario, it sure shocked me. Glad my geese will be in a fully fenced yard!

6. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:Oh my goodness! Poor goose. Talk about bad luck. As goose fights go it wasn't even a bad one so for that to happen when he finally fled... poor guy.

7. n4zty

n4zty Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    yea i watched that video off another video website with the title "Goose fight with a surprising ending" i really wasnt expecting that to happen but my point there is goose fights are normal are needed to establish ranks and leadership if ya want to keep ganders in seperate spots isolated then thats ok i prefer to leave them freely wandering my 1 acre yard doing their natrual thing. the only bad thing that happen there was that the goose flew at the wrong time at the wrong direction so just make sure ur ganders dont fight near any road lol.

8. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Ganders sometimes seem to like to fight for no reason at all. It's what they do and they aren't necessarily angry or trying to kill each other. One minute, they're fighting, the next, they're asleep next to each other on the grass. I wouldn't worry unless one of them is getting seriously hurt or there's fear that one is too strong for the other.

By the way, I watched that video and I think there should be a warning about the ending, not an encouragement. [​IMG]

9. Orcae

Orcae Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    I guess I won't have to worry about it anymore. The baby boy gosling passed away suddenly last night [​IMG]

10. n4zty

n4zty Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Quote:oh noo [​IMG] im sorry to hear that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by