Gang beating

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by erinandjudi, Apr 9, 2012.

1. erinandjudi

erinandjudi New Egg

Mar 12, 2012
    I know this sounds strange, but I heard the chickens making a lot of noise, way more than usual and walked out to find one sitting on the smallest and another pecking at her tail. I pulled the injured one out, but ended up separating the pecking one later. These are young birds and the one pecking we named nudge because of this behavior. I swear it looked like a gang beating when I came out to check. Pudge is the larges and an americauna. She does not peck at all, but was the one sitting on the other. I couldn't tell if she was helping or trying to protect. We had found one dead the day before and I think it was the same behavior. We don't know why nudge does this. It's almost like she is bullying them. She is very aggressive and I am afraid that even when we put them in the coop, once we get back from a trip, that she will still try to do this. Leading up to this, nudge was the only one who still had full plummage. everyone else has been pecked bare on their backs. What do I do with this aggressive chicken??? We want to replace the two that were killed and prevent her from killing any others. Any suggestions??

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Are you sure she's a she?

3. peepmommy

peepmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    If she is killing the others, I would cull her. Your flock is too important to have to deal with a destructive hen! Good luck and I am so sorrry you are dealing with this.

4. erinandjudi

erinandjudi New Egg

Mar 12, 2012
    She looks like the other reds. Is there a way to tell?? We bought them all from a feed store that usually has the pullets separate.

5. erinandjudi

erinandjudi New Egg

Mar 12, 2012
    I'm assuming this has happened to others before?? The feed store seemed very confused by this behavior.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I don't know what would cause the behavior, but I agree with Peepmommy - just get rid of her. It's that or you will end up with the rest of your flock being bullied and possibly dying off one by one.

7. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    soup sorry

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    There is no reason in the world to keep a domesticated animal that is vicious and nasty. She'll harm your other birds, and make your life miserable, which goes against every reason to keep an animal. The only way she can be redeemed to fulfill her purpose is to have her cooked up to nourish your family.

I would advise against giving her away, because she'll kill members of someone else's flock, and they won't thank you for it.

9. erinandjudi

erinandjudi New Egg

Mar 12, 2012
    Thank you everyone, We have the bird separated currently waiting to see if it was mis-sexed, which is a distinct possibility. Once we confirm, we will decide what to do, which either way may be as nourishment of the family. We don't think the neighbors would like it if we kept a rooster. The remaining two chickens are much happier and quieter now and we are getting new pullets in a few weeks to replace the ones we lost. Thanks for the advice!!

10. erinandjudi

erinandjudi New Egg

Mar 12, 2012
    Ok, So we isolated the chicken for 3-4 weeks to see if she was a he and it turns out she was just an aggressive she. We reintroduced her to the others (only two) and the entire pecking order changed. She is now at the bottom of the pecking order. And she runs to humans for protection. Hopefully this trend will continue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by