Gangly looking blue Jersey Giants

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Gloria's Gang, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Gloria's Gang

Gloria's Gang Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    Atkinson, NH
    I purchased fertile eggs from a swap for my broody cochin. I watched as the eggs were taken from an indoor pen with four blue jersey giant hens and one blue rooster. They were beautiful and LARGE. Two of the eggs hatched. I'm pretty sure one is a roo and the other is a pullet. "Daisy" is blue and fluffy and proportioned. "Onlslo" is the strangest excuse for a chicken I have ever seen. He looks like an ostrich; patchy feathers and fluff, extra long GREEN legs. How can she be so pretty and he be so bizzare? They are twelve weeks old. What's up with the green legs? Is he normal?[​IMG]Onslo [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]Daisy

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    He's gona be a big handsome fellow when he grows up,Not sure about the green legs.

Mine was like him then he got so fluffy and pretty before he started to get roo feathers that all the roos here thought he was a hen i think, poor guy.

i don't have a recent photo of him but this is him at 5 or 6 months not the best but gives ya an idea how fluff he got

[​IMG]

3. Gloria's Gang

Apr 22, 2009
    Atkinson, NH
    Wow! He is big. I didn't know they would get so fluffy. I hope Onslo is as handsome as yours!

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Hold on now, Gloria's Gang yours are Jersey Giants and zazouse's is a Giant Cochin, they are two different breeds and Giants dont get nearly as fluffy as Cochins and dont have the feathered legs.

5. Gloria's Gang

Apr 22, 2009
    Atkinson, NH
    The feathered feet threw me off. I hope he does grow into himself because he is so goofy looking. None of my other new babies ever went through this bad of an "awkward" stage!

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Quote:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Was the blue rooster an Easter Egger by chance? That would explain the green legs....

8. Gloria's Gang

Apr 22, 2009
    Atkinson, NH
    No I don't think so. I saw the big blue roo and his harem of about four blue hens. I was struck by how large they all were and stately looking. I almost didn't take the eggs because I wasn't sure if I could house them if all five eggs hatched. Two was a good number for me, but girls would have been better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by