gangrene feet

dlgd

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 3, 2010
my adopted Polish girl, Miss Muppet, was left for dead after her feet frost bit this last winter. She has since developed gangrene in her feet and shanks. I've been treating her with peroxide soaks, anti bact. cream and a medicated tar solution. They still get hot and swollen and she has already lost some digits. Is there anything else I can do for her. I read amputation is one way to deal with it and I'm not adverse to the idea.
Any other suggestions. She's a trooper and very brave and I don't want to put her down. When she feels ok she still lays eggs and is the "egg mother" of one of my chicks. Any ideas?
sad.png

I have heard that peroxide can kill new tissue growth-could that possibly be part of the reason your bird isn't healing?
I sure hope she heals for you.
fl.gif

Gads! You may be right...I know it's pretty harsh on people, but not really sure what else to do...thanks...

One of my hen's wings turned completely green. I gave her a little regular aspirin and some antibiotic. It cleared up, I don't know how. I just figure maybe she had a blood clot and the aspirin thinned it out. Maybe with your hen, it might help with the circulation too.

I would maybe try looking up info on gangrene on a medical website and see what it says. You may find something helpful. I agree about the peroxide. You should never soak anything in peroxide even if it's diluted. I tried to tell my husband this. His hangnail turned into a finger with dead tissue all around the nail, the nail fell off. He had to scrub his finger and wrap it in gauze before they would even let him in the nursery after our son was born!

Thanks for all the input! Never thought you could give aspirin to chickens. How much did you give her? I know it reduces pain and swelling in dogs, but chickens?!? Miss Muppet is such a brave girl that I want to do everything I can to help her. I think I could take lessons from her, if ya know what I mean.
roll.png

Here is a thread that might be usefull to you. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=282509&p=1
I
had a frostbit hen who lost her toes, but I can't find the thread I started to mark her progress. I was told to not use epsom salts, either, but I don't remember why. I just wrapped them in gauze and triple antibiotic, kept her on a yoga mat for traction, and gave her Cephalexan antibiotic. I dipped the end of the pill in vitamin oil to help it go down better. It was expensive, ($.50 ea) but I have plenty left over if you want me to send you two week's worth at my cost. Baytril injectable is also a readily available antibiotic for gangrene. I'm subscribing to your thread, by the way. I am hoping your bird gets well, and I want to follow her progress. It seems unusual that she would still be suffering from the effects of frostbite in August, so she must be a strong bird!
Stella then:
31816_rt_foot.jpg

Stella now:
31816_stella_chicks.jpg

GOOD LUCK MISS MUPPET

Last edited:
Quote:
I used maybe a quarter of a regular aspirin crushed in her food once a day for 2-3 days. My hen is probably considered a larger breed (RIR) so you might want to adjust down if your girl is small. I'd say the equivalent would be about a pinch like you'd do in cooking.

I know everyone screams about peroxide but I'll use it on myself 2-3 times (just a dab) directly on a wound only if it appears to be getting infected. I wouldn't put it on a fresh wound but for killing an infection nothing works like it. I just wouldn't overdo it that's all. I wouldn't soak but do dip a finger in it occassionally.

Back
Top Bottom