Gap Filler - Spray in Insulation

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by aoxa, Oct 21, 2011.

1. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Note to anyone who is going to use this to fill any gaps for winter - WEAR DISPOSABLE GLOVES!

I can't get the stuff off my hands!! I've tried EVERYTHING!

Anyone have any ideas - let me know.. Would love to hear someone with first hand experience.

[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Did you try washing your hands with gasoline?

It's a decent solvent....

3. aoxa

Quote:Yes - it removed some, but definitely not all. I feel like my skin is raw. [​IMG]

I've even used sand paper to try to get it off. All that did was take some of the bulk and make my hands red.

4. WhereTheHensAt

WhereTheHensAt Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2011
    That stuff is horrible.

I used it the other day also, somehow I'ts all over the sleeve of my leather jacket and it won't come off.

Gloves are a must! Because scrubbing and paint thinner are useless...

5. aoxa

Quote:I got it on my shoes a few months ago, and it still isn't gone. It's turned an orange/brown colour.. [​IMG]

6. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Have you tried wd-40 works great on most things believe it or not. Will take tar and bugs off your truck or car too.

7. aoxa

Quote:Haven't tried that yet. Is it safe for skin? I'm pretty much ready to try anything! Thanks for the suggestion [​IMG]

8. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I've heard mineral oil or baby oil works. Acetone and gasoline or other solvents will dissolve solids and leave the adhesive. Personally I just take a marathon bath in hot water, exfoliate your skin while relaxing is my motto.

9. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Yea it wont hurt anything. Hope it works [​IMG] I know for a fact it will remove grease, tar and glue.

10. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hey folks, Must be first experience with the dreaded "yellow spray foam"! FYI Dap makes a latex based gap filler that washes off with water. You can actually rinse the nozzle out and re-use the rest of the can later unlike the yellow stuff. The latex stuff doesn't expand quite as much, but much easier towork with. Its in a black can with blue and white writing on it in the caulking section of most big box home improvement stores. Give it a try next time.
    Erik

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by