Gape Worm, Mites or Resp Disease?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hoodchick, Oct 4, 2016.

1. hoodchick

hoodchick New Egg

Sep 22, 2016
    Hernando, MS
    We recently rescued 3 chickens from a lady who weren't taking care of them. They were itchy and infested with mites, but it was a few weeks before we realized. One was diagnosed with Cocci and has since been quarantined. Because of this we cleaned and disinfected the coop with vinegar, garlic and essential oils to prevent further spreading and the very day after, another one of the rescues started sneezing. We took her to the vet and he was very rushed and just diagnosed her with Respiratory Disease. We have since been giving her shots of Baytril for 5 days and she is still sneezing. Could it be gape worm instead? She seems to be stretching her neck out and gasping somewhat. They have never been wormed and are usually free ranging most of the day. Also read it could be from mites getting in their nose? Any advice is highly appreciated she isn't liking being quarantined and I feel like it's stressing her out.

2. sunflowerbee

sunflowerbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    Magnolia, Ky.
    This is Oreo.....I rescued him on Friday of last week. I was told he was a year old. He doesn't crow and haven't herd any sounds from him except a girggle like noise it's not loud. If anyone can look at his picture and tell me how old you think he is I would really appreciate it. Thanks!!![​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is not necessary to isolate if they have coccidiosis--it is from the soil and most chickens have some. When one is diagnosed, there is an overload, and all chickens may be treated together. Most chickens develop resistance to cocci in their home soil, but if they move to a new place with a different strain of cocci or get overloaded with it, they may become ill. Corid in the water is the best treatment for all strains of cocci. Simple cleaning of bedding and feeding equipment and keeping it clean and dry, along with fresh grass to graze on are all that is necessary.
    There are different types of respiratory diseases--some are viral or fungal which antibiotics won't help, but bacterial ones may respond. Secondary infections or air sacculitis may complicate respiratory diseases making them much worse.
    It is easy enough to treat for gapeworm with SafeGuard Liquid Goat wormer 1/4 ml per pound of weight given for 3-5 days orally to each chicken. Chickens with gapeworm are usually so ill gasping, that they cannot eat, drink, or get around very well.
    Here is a good link to read about the symptoms of the common respiratory diseases such as infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) ILT, coryza, and aspergillosis from mold: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It might be best to start a new thread all your own so that readers don't get confused in helping you. Go to the top of this page and look for the gray box "start a new thread.:

5. sunflowerbee

sunflowerbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    Magnolia, Ky.
    Okay thanks

6. hoodchick

hoodchick New Egg

Sep 22, 2016
    Hernando, MS

We have the coccidiosis under control now - the bird who got it was severely emaciated and also has mites we are still dealing with. She's really itchy but isolated because she's so weak and was getting picked on.

My question really has to do with the other bird though as I'm wondering if maybe she has the sneezing due to mites vs a respiratory disease. The sneezing only started the day after sanitizing the coop - they went to roost earlier than needed and the coop didn't really have a chance to air out at all. She doesn't have watery eyes or even a runny nose, just sneezing and itchy as well. Again, the Baytril injections haven't stopped the sneezing at all so I'm wondering if it's something totally different that I'm not getting. We've been giving her multivitamin supplements as well as colloidal silver and GSE also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by