1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. n.smithurmond

n.smithurmond Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    North Georgia
    Our favorite hen is making a constant, distressed sort of sound both when she inhales and exhales. It's sort of like the sound they make when they're happy and cooing, but it's constant. She'll occasionally cough/sneeze and her beak is open when she's making the sound like it's tough to breathe. Like she's got something stuck in her throat and it's painful? Any ideas??

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Is there a foul odor coming from her beak?
    Have her poos been normal, if not what have they looked like?
    Has she had any discharge (from her nostrils, eyes, etc)?
    How long has this been going on?
    How old is your Hen?

There are a few things it could be, but I just need a tad more info before I can be much help [​IMG]

3. n.smithurmond

Jun 24, 2009
    North Georgia
    Everything is normal as far as I can tell. This came on suddenly, like she has something lodged in her throat.

4. n.smithurmond

Jun 24, 2009
    North Georgia
    Yeah, she's in my lap right now and just pooped on me. It's normal... [​IMG]

5. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Lol Gotta love it when they poo right on you...at least you know it looks normal!! [​IMG]

It doesn't sound like she has an illness, I would add some Poly Vi Sol to her water to help perk her up. Also if you think something is lodged down in her throat then first: Take a look, and see if you can see anything. Second take a Q-tip and put olive oil on it and open the beak and gently push the oiled Q-tip down the throat to dislodge the object.

I hope this helps!

6. n.smithurmond

Jun 24, 2009
    North Georgia
    Will try that. Doesn't really need perking up, she's acting bright eyed as normal, just the sound and the coughing. She's alert and seems otherwise normal. Maybe she tried to eat a long piece of grass or something...

7. n.smithurmond

Jun 24, 2009
    North Georgia
    I can't see anything lodged and the q-tip didn't seem to dislodge anything. We're going to set her up on her own tonight and keep an eye on her. [​IMG] Of course it had to be our favorite hen!

8. n.smithurmond

Jun 24, 2009
    North Georgia
    Can respiratory distress in the absence of other symptoms indicate a respiratory infection or is it a safe bet that symptoms such as nasal discharge would be present?

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Did you give her any sunflower seeds or other treats just before this happened?

10. n.smithurmond

Jun 24, 2009
    North Georgia
    She's been free-ranging all day so there's any number of things she could have eaten, BOSS could be on the list for sure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by