Gapeworm? Dying hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Me1s, May 12, 2010.

1. Me1s

Me1s New Egg

May 12, 2010
    I dont know if it is definately gapeowrm but i am desperate for help as my hen seems to be dying. She started with the flicking head, gasping and squeeking like broken dog toy. i gave her and other two hens flubenvet but she has not improved. To be honest i dont think she was eating the food to get the flubenvet. She has become very letharging and we have been syringing diarolite into her to give her some goodness and have put her favourite food under her nose with the flubenvet powder on, but she is refusing that too and now she can hardly stand up from lack of nourishment. i have now brought her in the house to keep an eye on her and to stop the others picking on her as she is weak.

Can anyone advise how to treat her if she is refusing food? Can i dilute flubenvet in water and syringe that down? if so what is the ratio?

I am new to this website and would be ever so grateful of advice to save our hen. Thanks in advance.

2. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    are you sure it is gape. Could the crop be impacted? I'm not sure gape causes lack of appetite. The choking and not eating sounds more like the crop? Check it. If its not eating that crop will be empty. If it is full and hard you may need a different approach. I am not an expert however, so hopefully this post will give you a bump and someone with more experience will chime in.

3. Me1s

Me1s New Egg

May 12, 2010
    Thanks. Have just checked her and her crop feels quite empty but squishy. cannot smell anything from her beak. she has in the last 5 minutes eaten some fresh sweetcorn with the flubenvet on, so at least she will be getting worm treatment even if it is not gapeworm. just that the flicking head and squeeking was a big symptom, although she doesnt seem to be making any noises now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by