Gapeworm -- Hen not moving, wheezing gaping. Attempting treatment with Wazine-17

mc1135

Hatching
Dec 28, 2017
Hello all,

I have a 2 year old barred rock who is very chatty and active. Yesterday (12/27) she was moving around, pecking the ground and eating normally. However, when I got home from work last night (12/27) around 6pm, the nesting box top was mysteriously open and Lola was missing. My wife and I looked all over the yard for her. We actually thought someone stole her since the nesting box was open. We finally found her crouched down and loudly wheezing and gaping (sticking her neck out and gasping for air) behind the coop. The temperature yesterday was in the mid-30s all day. We immediately brought her in the garage, placed her on a towel in a dog crate and began to give her water through an eye-dropper to get her hydrated. We also gave her +/- 1mL of colloidal silver thinking this may be a respiratory infection that an antibiotic/antiviral could treat. However, my research has led me to gapeworm as the most likely culprit, but I'd like some guidance.

This morning, we half-expected to see a dead hen in the crate, but thankfully she was still with us. She was finally calmed down, the gaping less intense and the wheezing had subsided a bit. I went to Tractor Supply first thing at 8am and purchased Wazine-17. It's the only dewormer they have specifically labelled for poultry. I purchased this because I read that gapeworm is a type of roundworm and that Wazine-17 will kill roundworms, but, of course, I'm not totally sure.

Assuming my diagnosis is correct, does anyone have any experience treating this condition (gapeworm) with Wazine-17? Better yet, does anyone know of a substance that will *definitely* work *quickly* for gapeworm? I don't know how much more time I have to experiment with this.

Bird Type:
Barred Rock, 2 years old, weight +/- 2lbs (she's very petite)

Behavior:
Will barely move. Will not walk. Will not drink or eat. Sits in one place and gapes/wheezes. If she relaxes she stops gaping and only wheezes slightly. Eyes barely open

How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms:
She has been occasionally gaping for a few months. Like once or twice during an hour-long session of watching her. I didn't realize at the time that this was gaping. I thought she was yawning or trying to dislodge something in her throat. But otherwise she had no symptoms. She has been missing feathers on her butt for quite a while now. But those started coming back a few months back. Don't know if this is related.

Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?:
No.

Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma?:
No

What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation?
I don't know how a small bird like this could have opened the nesting box lid. I worry someone might have come in our yard and "played" with the chickens. Perhaps they stressed Lola out?

What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all?:
Before we noticed her in poor condition (12/27) she was eating Purina Layena pellets and drinking water normally.

How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.?
Runny. In fact, when I picked her up she immediately released a runny stool. I did not look for worms at this time. She also laid what I can only describe as a "shelless egg". Basically yolk with a very thin, papery substance with it which I can only imagine is an underdeveloped shell.

What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
+/- 1mL of Wazine 17 orally and some water. I'm using an eye dropper to give her water because she will not drink herself. When we first found her I administered +/- 1mL of colloidal silver thinking maybe she had a respiratory issue.

What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I would like to avoid a vet if I can administer treatment myself. But if this is over my head, I can take her to a vet.

Describe the housing/bedding in use
+/- 40 square foot coop with run and loft for sleeping with a nesting box. They free range in the back yard during the day about 4 days a week. Lola lives with three other hens.

Thank you for any guidance you can provide. I appreciate it.

I am having the same problem with only one of my hens. We previously treated 5 of my hens back in November with dewormer and antibiotic shots. Within 3 days, they were back on their feet acting normal. Now the lead hen is not eating or drinking, her breathing is very stressed. I do not know if I need also to retreat the flock or just her.

Gapeworms are rare in chickens. Gape treatment is Safeguard or Valbazen several days in a row. Neither Wazine nor ivermectin will treat gapes.

Can both of you post videos of your hens? Upload to YouTube or Vimeo, then post here.

Could a predator have gotten at her nest box and scared her or hurt her? Is she your only chicken? Check her crop to see if it is overly full, and once again in early morning to make sure it is empty and working.
Respiratory diseases are more common to cause gaping, since gapeworm is fairly rare. Viruses such as ILT can cause it, and other diseases such as MG and others may cause gasping, head shaking, watery eyes, nasal drainage, and sneezing.
Gapeworm will not respond to Wazine. A more effective wormer, such as fenbendazole (SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer) can be given at 1/4 ml per pound of weight for 3-5 days to treat gapes.

I have 11 hens and all 10 are fine. only this one below
20171228_142829.jpg

Attachments

• 20171228_142829.jpg
    20171228_142829.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 19
I scheduled an appointment with her for the vet today, but when I went home during lunch, she was already gone. :(

I took her to the vet anyway, and they will be sending her to Texas A&M for a necropsy. I will let you all know the results once I get them... I want to try to prevent whatever happened to her from happening to the other hens.

Could a predator have gotten at her nest box and scared her or hurt her? Is she your only chicken? Check her crop to see if it is overly full, and once again in early morning to make sure it is empty and working.

Here's the really suspicious thing-- When I first discovered her, the lid on her nesting box had been removed and set under the nesting box. It looked as though a person had been in our yard. I wonder if someone harmed her? What type of injury would cause those symptoms? I don't think it was a predator because she was left alive and there was no sign of struggle.

other diseases such as MG and others may cause gasping, head shaking, watery eyes, nasal drainage, and sneezing.

She did not have watery eyes, nasal drainage or sneezing that I could tell.

A more effective wormer, such as fenbendazole (SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer) can be given at 1/4 ml per pound of weight for 3-5 days to treat gapes.

Is this what you're referring to?:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...e-guard-dewormer-for-goats-125ml?cm_vc=IOPDP1

Can both of you post videos of your hens? Upload to YouTube or Vimeo, then post here.

Unfortunately, we didn't get a video of her before she passed. She was not moving at all... Kind of crouched down and every few seconds she would extend her neck straight up and gasp for air with a wheezing sound. Her eyes were closed if not mostly closed. Occasionally she would jump violently-- I don't know if this was a sneeze or a cough.

Help! Have 8 mth old chicken been making same noises gasping for air/wheezing sounds. NO VET & very upset & scared, because I do not know what to do! No vet w/i 60+ miles, except Emergency vet $300+, cannot afford, & cannot get help from anyone around. Even feed stores, Tractor Supply, especially those who were so happy to QUICKLY sell chickens to hubby! First time having chickens.
She acts relatively normal, eating, drinking, running around, except for gasping & making wheezing noises.
Haven't noticed poo, due to having very busy schedule & 5 other chickens. A t first, acted like she was gasping for air for last couple of weeks. Treated waters w/VetRX, cleaned coop, sealed most possible drafts on coop (6'X 8'X 8'). Added Red Lake DE & Sweet PDZ topped w/4" of fresh hay. Haven't noticed if she's laying, due to all using same spot to lay & getting 3-4 eggs daily.
Live GA/FL SE coastline. Normally quite warm, but as of last few wks chilly in low 40's - 50's. Weather all confused, everyone having sinus probs, but not sure if it affects chickens too. Rest of flock not showing any of same symptoms.
ANY HELP, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.
Happy New Year to all! (Fingers crossed & praying)

Back
Top Bottom