Gapeworm? in my quail. Sex-link? Boys pharaoh and girls whites

JesusisGod

Songster
Aug 1, 2021
My Hen is looking like its hard to swallow and is yawning extending its neck. I did feed her slugs when she was littler. How do i treat? do i put apple cider vinegar in water, and crushed pumpkin seeds? would that work to cure her

Also i keep incubating, My pharoah is a girl, the dad is a panda/white. The offspring, boys keep turning out to be pharoah and the girls whites. its happened 4x times now, is this a sex link or just random occurrence? thanks everyone

No, ACV and pumpkin seeds will not deworm your quail. I would recommend a vet before jumping to a diagnosis, however.

If you can, upload a video to YouTube and post a link here, and we will have a much better idea of how to help.

Treatment for worms depends on the types of worm. For example, below is an informative post on round worms.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/please-help-identify-worms.1503750/post-25177833

Ivermectin (Ivomec) and moxidectin (Cydectin)are medicines that would be used to treat gapeworm if that is what she has.

My Hen is looking like its hard to swallow and is yawning extending its neck. I did feed her slugs when she was littler. How do i treat? do i put apple cider vinegar in water, and crushed pumpkin seeds? would that work to cure her

Also i keep incubating, My pharoah is a girl, the dad is a panda/white. The offspring, boys keep turning out to be pharoah and the girls whites. its happened 4x times now, is this a sex link or just random occurrence? thanks everyone
I believe the color outcomes you have are random. There is a sex linked brown that closely resembles pharaoh, however, it works like roux, the brown would have to be the father, the mother would have to be anything besides brown or roux.

The wild pattern, is recessive so both birds must carry it. The pharaoh has 2 copies and your panda has at least one, if the colored area is wild patterned on the panda, it has 2, if it’s solid or Italian it has 1 copy.

The pied, which causes panda and tuxedo is passed separately as well. Pied is actually a collection of genes, each causing white in certain areas. The panda has a lot of the pied genes, and tuxedos have less, some Pieds just have white areas like a bib or primaries. When you cross a pied to a non pied, most offspring will be less pied than the most pied parent and more pied than the least pied parent, but there’s a lot of variety in the amount, with some even having more pied than the most pied parent and some having less than the least.

If you have silver involved, a double dose of the silver gene can cause a pure white bird, regardless of other pattern genes.

I believe the color outcomes you have are random. There is a sex linked brown that closely resembles pharaoh, however, it works like roux, the brown would have to be the father, the mother would have to be anything besides brown or roux.

The wild pattern, is recessive so both birds must carry it. The pharaoh has 2 copies and your panda has at least one, if the colored area is wild patterned on the panda, it has 2, if it’s solid or Italian it has 1 copy.

The pied, which causes panda and tuxedo is passed separately as well. Pied is actually a collection of genes, each causing white in certain areas. The panda has a lot of the pied genes, and tuxedos have less, some Pieds just have white areas like a bib or primaries. When you cross a pied to a non pied, most offspring will be less pied than the most pied parent and more pied than the least pied parent, but there’s a lot of variety in the amount, with some even having more pied than the most pied parent and some having less than the least.

If you have silver involved, a double dose of the silver gene can cause a pure white bird, regardless of other pattern genes.
Thanks, Wish i knew so much about genetics, i keep getting silvers, not sure whos giving them. Did you want me to send you a picture of all my quails later?

Im getting wormwood for the water for my girl, shes not behaving weirdly atm but just in case

Back
Top Bottom