Gapeworm? Pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Reyvaughn, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Alright...
    Sparkle has been sneezing and gaping for about 2wks now. There is no discharge from her nostrils. I wormed her 10 days ago and dosed her again tonight with ivermectrin (horse paste - it's what I have on hand). She didn't get any better, but is getting worse. She acts like there is something stuck in her throat and can't breathe. I noticed today she was sitting kind of hunched up and tonight her crop is empty (which is unusual). As you can see in the pictures, her comb and wattles are turning black, too. I have checked for bugs and haven't seen any, so I am wondering now if her comb isn't turning black because of lack of oxygen.

What should I do now?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chicken grandma

chicken grandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    west michigan
    Take a fecal/poop sample to your family/farm vet. Have the check it for gapeworm eggs. Gapeworms can be comfirmed through a stool/poop sample check and that is cheaper than bringing the hen in.

Then the vet can tell you if there are any worms of any kind and give you the proper medicine.

I would not have dosed a sick hen with Ivermectin because you are guessing that your hen has something that Ivermectin will cure. And the truth is that there are many types of worms and many conditions in chickens and Ivermectin is not always appropriate for what your hen has.

So please find out what is wrong before you give her any more medicine. God bless!

3. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Two of my chicks did the same thing like your hen is doing now. But am glad that they don't have gapeworms anymore.

4. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Quote:It's wormer. It's time for them to get wormed anyways. It's not like I am making a medicine mix and shoving it down her throat. I just wanted to make sure it's gapeworm - many members on BYC knows what it looks like and can confirm. I don't want to do the 3-4 doses if 1) ivermectrin won't work or 2) it isn't gapeworm.

Thanks, silkiebantams. I have a couple of others starting to sneeze and occasionally gape, too (usually while eating). I need to worm everyone anyways, but I was hoping I could hold off until I have about 12 dozen of eggs for us to live off until the treatments are done (12 dozen = 12 days).

5. CC1892

CC1892 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    East Coast
    Quote:So, how did you get rid of gape worm? What wormer worked for you?

6. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    Test for gapeworm yourself... Have someone help you. Catch or pick up one of the chickens with symptoms. Have someone hold "her" for you... Take a regular people Q-Tip... open the mouth of the bird.. gently lifting the head upward to stretch out the neck a bit... gently. Open the mouth.. Hold on to that Q-tip well and reach down into the back of the throat.. swab the throat as far down as you can reach.. when you pull up the Q-Tip check it for worms.. small Y-shaped worms. If you see no worms on that Q-tip they do not have gapeworm.

Gapeworm is rare... and hard to treat... Valbazen kills all worms... but, requires more dosages for tapeworms and gapeworms. Test for gapeworms first... the Q-tip test.

7. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    CC's CoopCuties :

Quote:So, how did you get rid of gape worm? What wormer worked for you?

I didn't use any wormer as I had thought that something was lodged in their throat so I used a pair of pincers to bring whatever was stuck in their throat but found nothing and they stopped.​

8. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    Have you rubbed, checked the black on her comb to see if it's mites? (Dried blood and mites).... Also check the skin under her wings and around her vent.

Seven Dust (or Poultry Dust) sprinkled under wings, on vent area, on the top -- where the tail meets the back... clean coop, run, etc... Sprinkle a little Seven Dust (or "Poultry Dust") on the / if there's a dirt floor.. on the cleaned roosts... in the dirt run... in the changed and cleaned nesting boxes... repeat in ten days. Valbazen (or Ivermectin) does not kill mites.

I believe that Ivermectin does not kill gapeworms... or tapeworms. Have to withhold eggs with either, Ivermectin or Valbazen and either would need to be repeated, given more than once... repeated ten days after first dose... and for gapeworms or tapeworms 4 treatments with Valbazen and withhold the eggs for the entire time until the 15th day after the last dosage. Valbazen must be given to each chicken orally... 1/4 cc / ml per bantam... 1/2 cc / ml per standard chicken. Avoiding windpipe.. to the side and back of throat... one chicken at a time... repeat each ten days withholding eggs for entire time and to 15th day after LAST treatment.

Mites on comb suck the blood, can make chickens sick and look "black".. rub it... see if it is mites.. dried blood.. check around eyes.. vegetable oil on comb will smother mites.. (I hear).. but, must be careful not to get it in eyes, also don't use much... don't let it drip into eyes. Minimal amount from fingers rubbed onto comb.

Best of luck...

9. Bigcreekpeafowl

Bigcreekpeafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Poor hen.
    Gape worm is not as common in domestic birds as some people think.

I worked as a vet tech for 10 years and took many of the newborn animals home with me that were brought in and abandoned. It was crazy around here, so many animals. A few I kept. And still have two robins.

The oldest Robin (now 7 years old) developed gape worm from a infected insect. Luckily my vet treats birds and is quite knowledge about them.

Symptoms with her were in the beginning lack of appetite, then shaking her head, the gaping or open mouth breathing was a little later.

My vet said it was gape worm after he examined her. I could not see it on my own without someone holding her while I looked. He said Ivermectin liquid (the same in the brown box labeled for cattle) is the kind to use. Not the paste.
    Gave her one dose .25mL and within 24 hours she was eating again and much better. I was surprised how quickly she recovered.

Your chicken being considerably larger would likely require a larger dose. If you can take her to a vet that would be best. I know it is expensive. But if you have a vet who treats birds he/she should be able to help you.

The ivermectin is a stronger wormer than some and may not be a good idea if it is something else. Usually gapeworm kills within about 7 days after the symptoms are visable.

Sure hope you find out what is going on.

[​IMG]

10. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Thanks everyone. I have Valbazen ordered and on it's way so I can just take care of my entire flock.

I'll do the q-tip test, thanks for that, Ysaville.

Considering the messy, sloppy, wet mess we've had this year and the fact that they do free range a couple of acres of land, I wouldn't doubt she does have gapeworm. It seems like anything my chickens can get, they do get. It's like a sign that I shouldn't have chickens. I have spent more on medication for these birds in 7 months than I have one my entire family in 3 years. If she doesn't have gapeworm, then she has something stuck and I have no idea what or how to get it out. I can't see anything and I can't feel anything. I've been watching her and trying to help her since this all started.

To be honest though, she's a chicken. I'll do what I possibly can to save her on my own, but a vet visit is out of the question. I have a shovel and a broomstick - I am not afraid to use either of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by