Gapeworm questions

jmofaustin

Songster
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
Austin, TX
If my chicken had gapeworm and I gave her the recommended dosage of ivermectin, how long would it take to see an improvement, such as not doing the gasping thing or coughing anymore?

If your chicken had gapeworm, the ivermectin should take care of it rather quickly. You can use a Q-tip and gently stick it 1 inch down the chickens throat, swab gently, pull it out. If you see a "Y" shaped red in color worm on the Q-tip, she has gapeworm. Edited...also check for any obstructions first, use a flashlight to look down her throat. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks, quickly as in a day, a week?
I will try the q-tip idea, but I have already treated her with .1cc of ivermectin injectable.

There has been some questions regarding ivomec injectable effectiveness recently. Also, I've never used the injectable. I recommend ivermectin pour on. You can also use Safeguard (fenbendazole) liquid goat wormer or Valbazen (albendazole) liquid cattle/sheep wormer. The ivermectin pour on is quickly absorbed into the bloodstream and should kill gapeworm within an hour or two. Dosage for the pour on is 1/2 cc standard size chicken .... 1/4cc smaller chickens. It needs to be put on bare skin on the back of the neck between shoulders. Perhaps someone else can respond that has used ivomec injectable to get rid of gapeworm.

Back
Top Bottom