gapeworm remedy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flyballgirl, Aug 16, 2013.

1. flyballgirl

flyballgirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    I have found two types of Safeguard/fenbendazole medicine and wonder if anyone knows which would be better or more effective...
    safe-guard liquid dewormer for GOATS and safe-guard CANINE dewormer (powder)
    I'm guessing the potency of the canine is closer to the size of our chicken but maybe the liquid absorbs better?
    Or I just don't know. Anyone have any comments on this?
    Thanks!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Most people use Safegard liquid goat wormer for their chickens.

3. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Have you swabbed the back of the chicken's throat to look for the red worms in the throat? Is she gaping all of the time? Occasional gaping is normal during hot weather or when adjusting their crops.

4. flyballgirl

flyballgirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    We have not swabbed her. How do you do this? Just stick a q-tip down her throat? She has had symptoms for several weeks which we thought was a respiratory infection and we treated with antibiotics. She was not getting better and we decided to go with the deworming because if that is what she has then (I understand) it will be resolved very quickly and then we will know that is what it was. We have tried to look with a flashlight down her throat - knowing that we probably would not be able to see the worms and I am going to take a sample of her poop and look at it under a microscope to see if any worms show up there. How big are gapeworms?
    Thanks!

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Treatment for gapeworms is Fenbendazole 10% (Safeguard or Panacur, liquid or paste) 20mg/kg by mouth for three consecutive days. 20mg/kg is .2ml for every 2.2 pounds of body weight. 1ml = 1cc. You can get the wormer at most feed stores in the cattle, goat and horse section.

-Kathy

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Gapeworms live in the trachea (airway), so I would not try sticking a q-tip in there, just go ahead and de-worm them, that will not harm them.

-Kathy

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If your bird had gapeworms, she wouldve been dead in several weeks time. Most likely it is a respiratory problem you're dealing with and the antibiotic you gave her was ineffective, especially if it's a virus. Gapeworm are rare in chickens.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I haven't experienced gapeworms, but I have read many posts where you caninsert Q-Tip 1 inch into the back of the throat and smear it on a white paper towel. The worms should be small and red and "Y-shaped." If none are present, there may not be an infection. Aside from Safegard (fendbendazole) 20 mg per each 2.2 lb, you can also use albendazole 20 mg per each 2.2 lb.(Valbazen.) Repeat the wormer in 10 days. If you know the weight of your chicken, you can give a more accurate dose.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I haven't seen them either, but I'm pretty sure they don't live in they esophagus. I'm also not sure if there is any published info on treating gapes with albendazole. I have no doubt that it would be effective, but I don't know what the effective dose would be. The fenbendazole three day 20mg/kg is the only the only published article I have seen.

-Kathy

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by