1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

gapeworm still?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JakRat, Feb 21, 2012.

1. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    My girl has been on panacur foe four days. She was doing well this morning but I just checked on her and she was making the coughy gapey thing. Does gapeworm take a few days to get out of the system?

2. terryg

terryg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    New England
    Do you know for sure that it is gapeworm? I had a chicken do a "raspy thing" and after she died I did a necropsy. She had peritonitis, and the fluids were backing up and causing her respiratory distress.

3. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover

Here is the video of her when she first started a week ago. The next day she was on the panacur. She is only doing this now randomly and its about half a bad.

I am going to call the vet today just to make sure.

4. Jessie66

Jessie66 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Prince George, BC
    How have you been feeding her the panacur? Diluted in water? I treated my banty with Safeguard (different name, but still 10% fenbendazole) a week ago. I was told to give her 0.25 ml straight from the bottle. (0.25ml for a banty, up to 1ml for a full sized chicken) It seemed to help right away.

5. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    it was pre measured in syringes by the vet. I called her today and she said that if she isnt any better by the end of the week to give her a call back.

luckily when I just went out there she was sleeping which is good because when she was originally sick she wasnt able too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by