Gapeworm transmission from chickens to cat?

Em1999

Hatching
May 1, 2021
My chickens have gapeworms, I'm just wondering if I will need to treat my cat for this as well, as he's been around the chickens since I brought them home. Thanks!♡

Thank you for the response! My chickens are showing signs of gapeworm, and they have been eating bugs outside (a few websites told me that bugs can carry the eggs, most likely worms, slugs & snails), so I'm pretty certain that's what it is. They've both been doing the open-beak almost-yawning type breathing, as well as shaking their heads a lot, & their breathing sounds heavy when they sleep.
Poultry gapeworms arnt transmittable to cats. Cats have their own type of gapeworm, see link below. What makes you think your birds have gapeworm? Only a fecal float test will provide that answer.
https://www.troccap.com/feline-guidelines/other-systems-feline/gapeworms-feline/

Thank you for the response! My chickens are showing signs of gapeworm, and they have been eating bugs outside (a few websites told me that bugs can carry the eggs, most likely worms, slugs & snails), so I'm pretty certain that's what it is. They've both been doing the open-beak almost-yawning type breathing, as well as shaking their heads a lot, & their breathing sounds heavy when they sleep.
Gapeworms are rare in chickens. Not all insects, worms etc carry worm eggs. After a chicken eats an insect, it's common that they open their mouth, yawn, and sometimes shake their heads. They do this to simply adjust their crop and return to normal eating and drinking later on. It takes 1-2 weeks for gapeworms to show symptoms in chickens.
If your birds are eating and drinking as usual, it's not gapeworms. Gapeworms suffocate a bird to death.
If you're still not certain, the only way to find if in fact it's gapeworm is put a fresh fecal sample in a ziplock bag and take it to a vet and have them look at it under a microscope for gapeworm eggs. They'll let you know for sure if it's gapeworms or other worms in the sample. It shouldnt cost much.

Back
Top Bottom