1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

gapeworm

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by yab, Jan 26, 2009.

1. yab

yab Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2009
    Yakima, Washington
    when a chicken begins to show signs of gasping, and shaking the head, how long do they have roughly before the gapeworm suffocates them?

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Have you looked down it's throat to confirm it has gape worm?

You can tell by the size of the worms as to how close they are to sufficating the chicken.

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Is this something treatable? I've never heard of it! If I had a chicken I knew was going to suffocate I would kill it long before it started to suffer. What do you do for this?

4. yab

yab Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2009
    Yakima, Washington
    well we have no idea how to look down his throat.. how do you keep his beak from closing?

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Grab it by the comb with one hand and the wattles with the other hand, gently pull to open the mouth.

Ivermectin is a drug often used to control gapeworm infection in birds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gapeworm

6. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    Open his beak with your right hand while you hold his body with your left hand and have someone shine a flashlight down his throat. I would feed some bread and milk for a day if you don't see any obstruction down his throat.

7. yab

yab Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2009
    Yakima, Washington
    mmkay, we will try that, and i PRAY that it's just a blockage, and not gapeworm!

8. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    That is just awful,, I looked at the site, and I hope my poor kids never have to deal with that!

9. yab

yab Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2009
    Yakima, Washington
    okay i could see the back of his throat, and the two holes, but i didn't see any gapeworms.. are they farther down into the neck?

10. yab

yab Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2009
    Yakima, Washington
    okay, i felt his crop and it feels a little swollen.. does it normally bulge out from the chest? it's about the size of a golfball.. would that mean that he's got somethin caught in there?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by