1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

gapeworm?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Legend, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Legend

Legend Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    Wiltshire England
    Hi I am worried about my rooster he started opening his mouth as if choking usually after food. Then he started doing weird neck moves see on YouTube. Thank you for any help in identifying his problem if any.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Gapeworm are rare in chickens. He's probably adjusting his crop because there's something stuck in his throat or crop. Give him an eyedropperful of olive oil orally, then gently massage his neck down to and including his crop. He'll either pass or puke whatever is stuck.
    The other problem he could possibly have if it isnt something stuck in his throat or crop, is possibly the onset of a respiratory disease, however there would be other symptoms.

3. Legend

Legend Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    Wiltshire England
    Thanks for your help. I appreciate it. I picked u a dropper from the chemist ..it is glass so I hope he doesn't bite it. I will let you know how it goes. I might film the procedure. can I put video on here?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by