gapeworm

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carlape, Aug 10, 2014.

1. carlape

carlape Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Hello,
    I believe I have an aged chicken that has gapeworm. How can I treat that she is going downhill quickly. I have Ivomec right now and Wazine, but this needs to be a dosing by mouth.
    Thanks,
    Carla

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is she eating or drinking? Is she gasping almost non-stop? Respiratory infections such as ILT and MG can cause similar symptoms of gapeworm which is rare. Have you used antibiotics yet? Fenbendazole 1 ml for an average chicken daily for 5 days in a row is the treatment for gapeworm. Levamisole can also be used. Tylan 50 injectible would be the best treatment for respiratory disease, although ILT is viral and has to run it's course. Here is a video in post 1 of this thread that shows probable gapeworm--caution, it is kind of difficult to watch: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/831466/hen-breathing-very-heavily-advice-video-included

3. carlape

Apr 3, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Hello,
    I have.been out of town and my husband said she was eating some and I have seen her drink. She is on two different antibiotics that a vet prescribed, my husband said that she was getting better, but now today she isn't as good. I only suspect gapeworm, because I had a hen that had them a few years ago, and she progressed like this one. Thoughts? I had some Panacur that my vet prescribed and gave her that. Thanks for the video, her gapping isn't that frequent, but it is frequent and it isn't noisy but you can hear rattling.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think that if she can eat or drink, or if she has rattles in her chest, that it is a respiratory disease. Many people use Duramycin10 for respiratory diseases, but I would use the Tylan 50, 1 ml either as a shot into the breast muscle for 3 days, or given orally 1-1.5 ml for 5 days. Panacur is fenbendazole as well as is Safeguard. Here is a good link about the respiratory diseases including MG, infectious bronchitis, ILT, and coryza: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If she was eating and drinking, it's not gapeworm. Most likely it's a respiratory problem as evidenced by the antibiotics your vet prescribed.

6. carlape

Apr 3, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Wouldn't I see some improvement if it is respiratory and she is on two of them. She is surely not eating well, I have seen her peck at food but not much.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Not necessarily if the respiratory problem is a virus such as Infectious Bronchitis (IB) for example, or perhaps a fungal problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by