Gapeworms - best treatment to buy in Ireland

FlynnsHens

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 1, 2014
Hi there, I am looking for some advice re the best worm treatment to buy. We have recently lost two hens - the first we did not know was sick as we were away and the day after we came home she died. As we were away did not notice anything wrong with her. The second hen we noticed this morning was stretching her neck up high as if she was about to make a noise but nothing was coming out. When we realised what was wrong we could not get her medication and gave her a home remedy but it was too late and she died this afternoon. We are now concerned about the rest of the flock and want to treat them asap. Therefore I am looking for what you would recommend and also the best way you have found to administer it. Thank you in advance.

I use a "goat wormer" for mine...I have many chickens and it was cheaper to buy goat wormer from my Veterinary practice...I use oxfendazole which rids them of all worms...I dose them in their coop with a needleless syringe...a pea sized amount for standard sized chickens and half of that amount for any bantam sized chickens....

Welcome to BYC. Sorry about your loss of the two hens. I would treat for gapeworm with Fluenvet, but also realize that many respiratory diseases can look like gapeworm. Some are viruses which will not respond to antibiotics, but mycoplasma will respond to Tylan, oxytetracycline, and Denagard which may only be available from a vet in Ireland. Aspergillosis, a fungus infection from molds can also cause silent gasping and gaping. It is treated by removing the mold in the feed or environment. Here is a thread about aspergillosis and gapeworm:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/7/aspergillosis
http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/Worming_Poultry.html

Thank you both for your replies they are brilliant. Can I just ask the Repidose or Oxfendazole does that come in a liquid or powder form? And if the latter how do you mix it?

To be honest we are not sure whether it is definitely worms or a respiratory infection but we are going to treat for worms and also disinfect the hen house. We did clean it out this week and I remember seeing a greenish pooh which I had read can indicate worms..correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway I am going to get new bedding for them and mix it with lime to disinfect the house.

Sorry another question - in the link about the respiratory infection Aspergillosis it mentions lesions on the eyes...I noticed today that one of our cocks appears to have one eye closed, Im not sure if this is a lesion, what would the eye or lesion look like?

Oxfendazole comes in a liquid form...I use a syringe with enough to treat each bird.... easy to use when you pull on their wattles ( to open the mouth ) just squirt enough onto their tongue and release immediately...they will swallow the de wormer...it is advisable to treat 14 days after the initial dose and discard all of the eggs...do not feed back to the chickens or you will extend the withdrawal period...you can feed the discarded eggs to cats or dogs if you wish......

Update - I went to the vet this morning as I had planned and also as two hens and one cock all looked unwell this morning (very lethargic, weeping or closed eyes and a rattle when breeding). The vet gave me an antibiotic and also a wormer to use for three days. The wormer is not for hens as they said that the one suitable for hens is not always as affective. They were both in liquid form - 10mls of the antibiotic and 4mls of the wormer to be mixed with one litre of water. I have sectioned them all in one area and they are drinking and eating away. One hen and one cock have perked up. One hen who I made drink some of the water is still very lethargic and refused to eat. Hopefully there will be an improvement later in the afternoon on her. I am going now to get new bedding which I will mix with lime and put on the floor of the hen house. Thanks again for all your help.

Thanks for the update...you have a good Vet!

Hopefully all of your flock will get well very soon...keep us updated on their progress.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom