Gapeworms or diseased( BEYOND FRUSTRATED)?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CrazyChickens09, Nov 10, 2009.

1. CrazyChickens09

CrazyChickens09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2009
    SC Kansas
    I have a chick that has started sneezing/semi hard breathing/head shaking but is eating normally and drinking normally..I talked to my vet and he gave me antibiotics to give for a week but I am seeing little to no change so I was looking at a chicken book that I have and it listed a couple of symptoms that this chick had for gapeworms except sneezing( I suspected crd/or infectious broncitis(sp?) but the chick doesnt have nasal discharge, watery or swollen eyes or diarrhea..I am at a total loss because other than the sneezing/head shaking and semi hard breathing this chick looks and acts like a normal healthy chick

2. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Look down the throat with a good light. See if there is any growths or lesions.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Have you finished the course of antibiotics yet?

4. CrazyChickens09

CrazyChickens09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2009
    SC Kansas
    No not yet it ends friday evening

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    If your bird is still sneezing/sniffling after the course of antibiotics is finished, you could call the vet and ask them to prescribe a different antibiotic. Sometimes you run across an infection that is resistant to common antibiotics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by