Gapeworms----Treatment?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Winggedheart, May 18, 2011.

1. Winggedheart

Winggedheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Ringgold
    What do you treat gapeworms for? I've had a lot of trouble with my birds lately, and am beginning to suspect it could be gapeworms.
    I've been treating the birds with vitamins, and electrolytes, antibodies, and Sulfa-Med for Cocci in their water, and also DE in their food (which normally works with worms for me.)
    The birds are still ill, with symptoms of lethargy, diarrhea (in the older birds, where they stay alive longer) drooping combs, gasping for air, revulsion towards food and water, and weight loss. No blood in poop, just a bit more green then usual.

2. Winggedheart

Dec 18, 2010
    Ringgold
    I also wanted to say, until the birds get ill enough to be real lethargic, they ARE eating and drinking.

3. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I thought gape worms lived in the throat not the intestines? Attatched themselves to the esophagus?

4. Winggedheart

Dec 18, 2010
    Ringgold
    Yes from what I understand they do; but at this point I have no clue what's got my birds so ill, though I'm still leaning towards a type of worms...could be gape, I was wondering if anybody knew anymore? Any treatment suggestions?

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    DE wont kill worms. I recommend you use valbazen. 1/2cc for standard size chickens and 1/4cc for smaller chickens given orally. Repeat again in 10 days. Grand total withdrawal is 24 days.

6. Linda Swihart

Linda Swihart New Egg

Jun 24, 2010
    Thank you -- please help me understand that last part. Is this a period of time for which I should not use the eggs, or is 24 day withdrawal and meat withdrawal period? My flock is a laying flock only right now.

Linda

7. opalwednesday

opalwednesday Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Ridgecrest
    I just got some panacur from the vet (10% suspension), it's cheep and kills alot of different worms, including gape. they were prescribed .2 ml a day for 5 days for a 3.6 pound bird.
    i hope your flock gets better

8. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    So I see that your vet gave you panacur. I can only find the horse strength at tractor supply and the only avian vet near us is not taking new patients right now... Has anyone used the horse panacur for chickens in the minutest of doses? If so how did you do this? Same with invetricn.

9. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Here is a video of my girl

10. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    When I press on her throat, like to feel around if she has something stuck in there. I feel a bump which I am assuming is part of her throat, BUT when I press on it a little bit she makes that sound right after, almost as if that is a trigger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by