1. TNBarnQueen

TNBarnQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Can gapeworms be treated in conjunction with treatment for Cocci? I noticed that 2 of my 7 wk old chicks are shaking their heads and opening their mouths like they are gagging. I have having to treat them for Cocci presently. Or is this also a symptom of Cocci? I just wormed them with DE this past Saturday as one was doing this and when I got home Sunday afternoon she was dead. Please someone help! They have never been outside...but I do have a chick bought at a show...maybe I did not quarantine long enough...5 days??
    They are eating..could they be eating too quickly and food getting lodged? Thank you!!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Unless they have eaten earthworms or arthropods, there is no way they can have gapeworms. It is more likely that you are dealing with something from the respiratory spectrum. It is very possible that you introduced a respiratory entity along with the new chick.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:If it is Gapeworm, DE will not help you will a "Real" Wormer like Ivomec, Flubendazole or Levamisole.
    With that being said I don't think that it is Gapeworm. Infection is by the oral route with earthworms, slugs and snails acting as transfer hosts but the life cycle may also be direct, by ingestion of embryonated egg.

Chris

4. TNBarnQueen

TNBarnQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Thanks so much everyone...I did not think it was but wanted to get some others opinions on it. I was trying to figure out if they had them,,,,how when they had never been outside!
    Everyone seems fine now...since our temps have been lower at night I decided to put a higher wattage bulb in...big difference. So...2 more days on Cocci treatment and I pray this is the last time this happens!
    Thanks again!
    Terry

5. morwenna

morwenna New Egg

Apr 16, 2011
    One other thing to consider is brooder pneumonia. Perhaps there's a fungus or mold in your brooder that's causing the condition? If you think this could be the case, try putting them in a completely new box with new shavings, etc and try adding garlic to their water. See my post about garlic as a possible cure for brooder pneumonia here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6456932

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I remember being paranoid with my first group of chicks (not so much the 2nd time), just knowing they had gapeworm because of shaking the head a bit, and stretching their necks out. I was so scared, and asked a farm friend of DH's what I could treat them with. He said they most likely didn't have gapeworm, but were just trying to work things through their crop, or that their crop was very full/tight...something like that. I didn't treat, and it did stop within a week or two. Sometimes I think we read so much that we LOOK for troubles...lol. Or at least I'm guilty of doing so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by