gaping mille fleur 2 month old pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by monicas, Aug 30, 2010.

1. monicas

monicas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2010
    duvall, wa
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance for your help. Last night I found my 14 pullets had flipped their water container. I'm not sure how long they were without water but probably about 4 hours. when I filled the water they were rushing it. poor girls. Their waterer is a 3 gallon opaque plastic unit that inverts to a red plastic ring that they drink out of.
    Once I had it filled I struggled to secure the water to a new hanger I rigged to keep them from flipping it again. It waved about madly above their heads for few minutes as I tried to tie it hanging.
    When I got it hanged. I went to feed the other chickens.

I returned a few minutes later to find one 2 month old D'Uccle hen was all wet. [​IMG] She was soaked and was gaping rhymically in time to her breathing. she was otherwise active and alert.
    I surmised she may have gotten pushed face first into the water. I held her between my hands and swung her gently to see if I could help dislodge whatever was making it hard to breathe. No luck. I got a flashlight and peered down her throat. Nothing. I put her under a heat lamp and left her til morning. In the am she was eating and drinking but still gaping from time to time. She seemed less active. sitting under the light and moving to food and water then coming back to the light. by afternoon she looked exhausted but still gaping in time to her breathing.

I read up and decided to test her for gapeworm. I peered down her throat with the flashlight again, this time after being held upside down she vomited the entire contents of her craw. wet food and grass and gunk was everywhere and the gaping got worse. I cleaned her up then swabbed her with a q-tip as described in the gape worm articles. No sign of v shaped red worms.

she's now resting in my downstairs bedroom, seemingly more and more lethargic. I can hear her gurgle from time to time. No other animal on my farm shows similar symptoms. Suggestions?

2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    maybe you got most of the yuck out. I think I would just keep her warm and comfy until she feels better. Good luck!

3. monicas

monicas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2010
    duvall, wa
    the little dear went to sleep and didn't wake up this am. All other birds seem healthy. I'm going to chalk this up to don't let them breathe water. sigh.

4. mkwags

mkwags Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2009
    Davis County, Utah
    Sorry to hear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by