Gaping...normal...or...not

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by caralynnp, Aug 5, 2010.

1. caralynnp

caralynnp Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Louisville
    One of my NHR pullets does the gaping thing fairly regularly. She is perfectly healthy in all ways. I looked down her throat and it just looked like a chicken throat to me. Nothing in stool. I haven't put out grit because they eat crumbles. would that make a difference? I've seen the 3 week olds do it too but I think everyone is healthy, maybe just need some grit to get everything down? I do spend a lot of time watching the chickens [​IMG] so maybe this is normal...gaping i mean, not the chicken watching, I know that isn't normal [​IMG]

2. organicfoltzfamilyfarm

organicfoltzfamilyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Trafalgar, IN
    They pant when it is hot. Just heat related if she has no other symptoms.

3. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    You chickens will still need grit if they don't have any small pebbles to eat. They need it to help digest their food.

4. austradork

austradork Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Seattle
    One of my chickens gapes all the time. She's a chronic over-eater, and during treat time, she just goes to TOWN! Then, like clockwork, she sits down in a pile of dirt and gapes for a good half hour. I heard that sometimes they do this to re-arrange food in their crops and otherwise help move along the digestive process.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by