Gaping Vent, Feather Loss, Yellow vent area, Death WARNING GRAPHIC PIC

Gallina

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 18, 2008
Broad Run, Virginia
I had 15 birds die this weekend. They all had the same symptom gaping vents where you could see their organs. I had another one die today. I don't see maggots. I also have one with a yellowish behind. Many are losing their feathers under their wings and near their vent. Can anyone help?
sad.png

Edited to add, these are 7 week old Ranger Broilers. They are being raised in a portable pen. They are fed organic feed.

Last edited:
THESE ARE REALLY AWFUL PICTURES
12075_img_1164.jpg
[/img]
12075_img_1163.jpg
[/img]
12075_img_1162.jpg
[/img]
12075_img_1161.jpg
[/img
12075_img_1160.jpg
[/img]

The last two are the living chicken....
I honestly can't tell if they have diarreah.

Last edited:
Were there any changes (symptoms) before the weekend? Fifteen with same pattern over less than two days? From your shots it appears the pygostyle's missing?

What sized openings in the portable pen (chicken wire?). I'd guess cannibalism (unlikely), or something like a weasel. A larger pic would be helpful.

Sorry about your birds!

Last edited:
First let me say, I'm really sorry, that must be awful.
The pictures are small and the vent hardly looks like a vent anymore, but I don't see any discharge. If there were discharge, I'd suspect infectious bursal disease. It's not uncommon in birds that age. Do a search on it and see if you recognize any symptoms. A necropsy might be your best bet, though. There's a sticky at the top of the "Emergencies..." page.

I caught them at it today, it is cannibalism. What am I doing wrong? They have constant food and water... the are in a tall portable pen that is 12X12 and there are approximately 50 chickens.
I had to cull one today as they had picked away near his rump. I have another I seperated into a small dog crate as part of his tail was bitten off.
I hear cutting their beaks off is inhumane...but this seems even more inhumane...

i'd cull before i de-beaked...birds cost about $3.00 each..is it worth making them suffer?...
hu.gif
....de-beaking is very painful!!...please try other options..just my opinion though...best of luck..Wendy

Quote:
Are they all doing it??? I don't know what to suggest, I've never dealt with cannibalism.....I've been told cannibalism is near impossible to cure. You may try separating all of them, or finding out if there's one main culprit. Do they have enough room?

Dear Lord. That is the worst thing I have ever seen. Those poor birds. They have been eaten alive. I would put them out of their misery.

Personally, I believe 50 large birds in a 12x12 cage is way overcrowded, resulting in cannibalism. That's why I free range. It's not just about square footage, it's also about how they spend their day and what there is to do. In a cage there is nothing for them to do but to go at one another.

Back
Top Bottom