gaping wounds, maybe a hawk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bsver, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Bsver

Bsver New Egg

Jul 10, 2009
    I have never had a bird survive an attack so I am not quite sure what to do. We have been fighting an opossum in the coop eating the eggs for the last number of days. Chickens have been stressed by the opossum in the nesting boxes. I came home tonight to feathers everywhere in the chicken pen, in large quantities. Huge chunks torn out together, plus a blanket of loose feathers. Can't imagine it was the opossum. I assumed that the hen had been taken, but she was in the coop with the others. They aren't very tame so I can't get near her at this point. She ate the fermented feed I brought out and I tried to get a look at her neck area. I couldn't get close enough to pry, but it felt like I was looking into a body cavity. I have a feeling that there are hunks of flesh gone down to the bone, with maybe part of her neck gone. She was walking around. This is way beyond some antibiotic ointment. Should I let the wound be, or should I pour Povidone-iodine solution in (it was frozen in the barn so not sure how potent it will be). Even without being able to see yet, I think that if I poured the iodine on, it would actually go into her body cavity as this isn't a surface wound. Or, I could let it be. My tendency is to leave her in with the other birds in order to not additionally stress her out, but should I remove her and maybe bring her into the warm house? Thanks.

2. DStewart PDX

DStewart PDX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Hopefully someone with more experience will weigh in very soon. You should separate a sick or injured hen. She may be lonely, but the other hens could peck her to death. If you want to take care of her and not leave it to fate, then you have to get a hold of your bird and put her in confinement where you can check her out and keep a close eye on her.

3. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    I would catch her and bring her in ASAP. A bird can go into shock and die. Inspect her throughly for more injuries clean the wounds with diluted peroxide, remove any debris.. Apply antibiotic without out any "caines" pain reliever in it, toxic to chickens. If needed cover lightly with gauze and secure not tight with vet wrap. Keep her in warm quiet place isloated from other chickens. Placing food and water within reach. The other hens could peck the wound causing further damage and kill her.

They can recover from severe wounds if given proper wound treatments. Keep an eye out for infection, foul smell from wounds, loss of appetite, not drinking. A hen when injured may need to be tube fed to recover fully. Electrolytes can help with a shocky bird.

**the povidone iodine may no longer be good if it was frozen as it may seperate after it is thawed out** I try to keep all first aid supplies in house that can freeze.
    For more help on type of wound post some pictures and others can advise treatments or meds that can assist you in caring for your hen.

Hope she recovers.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by