Gaps in wood flooring

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickens r life, Mar 20, 2017.

1. chickens r life

chickens r life Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2015
    The Golden State
    Hi everyone,
    There are large gaps between the 2x6s in my coop flooring. The shavings I use are slipping through the gaps making a mess underneath my coop. Do you know of anything I can seal the gaps with?

Thanks

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Pl 400 subfloor adhesive.

3. Yaychicks

Yaychicks Just Hatched

Mar 20, 2017
    Huh, ours is like this by design. You can just scrape anything through. It only gets to 20F at most in winter, though- birds sleep outside most of the time.

4. chickens r life

Apr 13, 2015
    The Golden State
    Our coop is 7x8 feet and is raised about 8 inches off the ground. It is tedious trying get all of the shavings out from underneath the coop. To make things worse, when it rains, all of the water and shavings/manure combined makes a horrible smell. I image it will just be easier to clean in general once the gaps are sealed.

5. chickens r life

Apr 13, 2015
    The Golden State
    Thanks. I'll give this a look.

6. Yaychicks

Yaychicks Just Hatched

Mar 20, 2017
    Oh, 8 inches would be tough, we have 2 feet or so, the shovel fits easily, and the entire run is raised sloping toward the surrounding land- so water doesn't really sit on it, and it dries quickly.

7. BlklogVlygirls

BlklogVlygirls New Egg

Jan 27, 2017
    Black Log Valley, PA
    Not exactly sure if I understand you correctly, but for the cracks in between, the sub flooring is a great idea. My husband does rubber roofing and that comes in handy. As far as the issue underneath, can you set it up a little higher with cement blocks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by