Garage and temperatures

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cowchipss, May 3, 2011.

1. cowchipss

cowchipss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Hey guys,

I have two two weeks old chicks, one one week old, and soon to be a fourth fresh from the feed store. I've been keeping them in a brooder (old cooler) in my garage. At night I was turning on at red light in a work lamp for some extra heat but during the day the garage can get up to ninety so I don't leave a light on then. Did I mention I'm in Florida? [​IMG] I was hoping to keep the chicks in the garage until they're ready to stay the night outside (feathered) and their coop is done. When they get to be four and five weeks old will ninety be too hot for them? All I can find is info about keeping chicks warm but not if anything can be too much. Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Probably it will be too hot for them. By then, surely the outside temps will be ok for them where you live?

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    With air flow and fresh water 90 won't be too hot for them. That's our normal (or slightly below normal) temperature here in Florida for half the year or more.

This time of year I turn the brooder lights off during the day since it is getting so warm if the chicks are more than a week old. Come nightfall I turn them back on.

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Yes, I was thinkign there wasn't good air flow since it was getting that hot. Most well ventilated garages are cooler than the outside temps. That's our normal temps here, too.

5. cowchipss

Apr 20, 2011
    Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll set up a box fan to make sure there's good air flow...

The reason they aren't outside especially during the day is, well, I don't have a coop, yet.

I just moved into a house with a yard. About two weeks before move in date, I read a local article that referenced BYC, ok'd chickens with my landlord, purchased chicks, and began planning a coop. I found a really nice picture under "small coops" that is basically what I have in mind. It's called The Dutch Coop. I figured I had some time befor they were going outside and this is when the feed store is selling them. AND once I could have chicks at my home I didn't want to wait. I love chickens but haven't had them since 2003 because I've been renting.

Once I have a coop Ill probably start them outside during the day and bring them in at night just to keep them cozy at first.

Thanks again. I'm really finding this board useful AND friendly [​IMG])

~cowchipss

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Don't have the fan blowing directly on them. They need some air flow, but not a steady breeze.

7. cowchipss

Apr 20, 2011
    Good point A.T. Hagan,

Don't want to ruffle any feathers [​IMG]

I was thinking about settin it up at a distance so that it was just higher than the top of the brooder to send some air flow their way. I will set it up and test it while I'm at home. That way I can see if it works for them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by