1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

garage coop advice, and question about ladder/rung design

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tuli2007, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Tuli2007

Tuli2007 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2007
    We’re just got a permit to put up a coop in our urban Mid-western city backyard. We’ll be making a run out of dog kennel panels that will make a 3 –sided run against the wall of our garage. We’re framing an opening into a henhouse in the garage. We’ll be able to collect eggs and clean the henhouse from within the garage, and access the run through a kennel door. From outside, it’s a rather steep ascent into the garage opening. I have an old bunk bed ladder that’s just the right size for inside the run – will that work? Will I need to fasten a board to the bottom? It’s like a miniature simple wooden ladder, about 4 feet long and a foot wide.
    Also – any advice for building a garage coop? We plan to use straw to insulate in the winter, and it will be under a window. We want to set lights up on timers and hopefully still get some eggs this winter. It gets quite cold in the winter here.
    Thanks!

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    They could use it they will go up the ladder but not down. They will fly down instead. You could just make a ramp for them too. A piece of plywood with small strips runnning across it for traction. Here is the link to pictures of members coops.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=64

3. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Hi Tuli 2007-

This doesn't address your question at all, but I am interested in your location and the city's laws (am compiling a list to help others trying to change ordinances)...

Thanks!
    Seachick

4. Tuli2007

Tuli2007 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by