Garage Coop in MN

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Catalina, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Yay! I finally get to post here!!

My new garage coop.
    [​IMG]

Side View.
    [​IMG]

Front View.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Happy chickies!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok what do you all think?
    I still need to hang some lights and eventually (hopefully need [​IMG] ) get some nest boxes.
    Also how do you get chicks used to the dark? As they grow will they get used to sleeping in the dark or will they always need their nightlight?

Thanks for looking!

2. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

This is actually in your garage?

Very nice looking I really like it. [​IMG]

Do they get to go outside?

3. Catalina

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Glad you like it![​IMG]

I'm still working on covering the 10x10 outside run.

I think I might take the wooden hutch out and build my own roost/nesting box area.

4. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    after awhile the babies get used to not having the night light- I had the same problem with mine the first couple of nights with out it they would make allkinds of noise but after awhile they would fall asleep. I really love the coop in the garage very cool idea.It will keep them nice and warm in the colder months. The little brown and gold chic is she a bantam? If so what breed she is very cute.

5. Catalina

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    That's Pippa- my little Sebright.

6. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I have never seen anything like that, thanks for sharing and it can help others who might want to do the same thing.

7. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

I've not see that before either... very interesting idea! So glad you shared and showed pictures.

I wonder if more people don't do this because of smell in an enclosed space?

Keep us posted!!!

8. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    wow that has the potential to really STINK!!!!!!!! looks great though if you are lucky enough to somehow avoid the stench that often comes from my coop!LOL

9. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Quote:Wow aran, your coop must really stink if they can smell it all the way from your place in NY to their place in Minnesota!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:haha That is what I was wondering... but I guess there's only a few birds in there so it can't smell that bad!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by