1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Garage Coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jnikjag, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Jnikjag

Jnikjag New Egg

Oct 28, 2016
    I would like to section off a corner of my garage for a coop for 4 hens. Good idea? It has a window and I can create good ventilation.

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! Chickens create a very dusty environment; it will be a mess! You can make a very nice coop there, having a roof already is great, BUT the dust wiil be a problem. Also, predator protection is a big issue, so pictures and plans will help here. Mary

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If the coop walls inside the garage are solid, you won't have bird 'dust' in the garage.
    Possible but tricky.
    How much space will you give the how many birds?
    More info on your climate and pics of the garage would be needed to advise here.

4. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I wouldn't do it because might ruin your garage (smell, attract rat, other critters, and rotten the wood). It is better to get a free shed and put away from the house if you don't have money. My coop was build by free plywood shipping box and pretty solid.

5. potterpoulets

potterpoulets Just Hatched

Oct 27, 2016
    Harvard, MA
    My Coop
    I've just done this very thing. My hens moved in about a week and a half ago; so far so good! We'll see how winter goes. The walls are not insulated, but I have lined the inside of the walls with OSB so that the building isn't harmed (also assuming the R value will be higher than the average coop), the floor is a concrete slab (which I sealed), and I'm doing deep litter, so that the floor shouldn't be too cold.

Good luck!

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Got pics of the inside?

7. potterpoulets

Oct 27, 2016
    Harvard, MA
    My Coop
    Indeed, I do! This is officially my 20th post, so I'll be starting my coop page tonight. I'll come back and post a link here.

1 person likes this.
  8. potterpoulets

Oct 27, 2016
    Harvard, MA
    My Coop
  9. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Just so you know, deep litter method needs contact with the soil to start the composting process; otherwise, it tends to stagnate. It needs the microbes from the soil.

LofMc

10. potterpoulets

Oct 27, 2016
    Harvard, MA
    My Coop
    I've seen it done without ground contact, and it's been suggested to leave a little bit of the old bedding when cleaning it out to keep the good bacteria going like good gut bacteria. It worked well enough in my old coop which was elevated off the ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by