Garage Coop !

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Cwittofur, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Cwittofur

Cwittofur Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Southern NH
    Hey everyone ! I finished my garage coop this weekend and I'm super excited so I had to share [​IMG] It's 4' wide by 16' long and it's 7' high.

Here's a picture of the left side (with the door)
    [​IMG]

Here's the right side
    [​IMG]

It took a few hours to build but I'm quite happy with it. The chickens are also, they have more space to run and chase each other. I added a kick board to the front to prevent shavings from inhabiting the entire garage. I also put out plug covers.

I'm keeping half of it bare with the concrete floor primarily for them to scratch and trim their nails. They spend more time on the concrete side than they do the shaving side. Now I need to build a roost perch I figured they'd go for the one near the windows but they're not that smart yet [​IMG]

Any feedback or criticism? This is their winter home (Garage heated to 40F) I'll be building an outdoor coop next spring.

2. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    looks good. be prepared for dust everywhere.

3. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    look really nice, but yeah, the dust and dander is going to be terrible....

4. VI KING RANCH

VI KING RANCH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Campbell River
    Quote:yah I had a modern game cock in my bedroom for 2 months because I was in the city andf not aloud any birds but that dust can kill

5. rpchris

rpchris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Saint Louis, MO
    Oh wow. That garage will never be the same after having chickens in there. I hope you're not renting. [​IMG]

6. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Quote:X2. I've got my chicks in the guest bathroom until they can go outside to their coop. The dust is really thick - even the chicks are sneezing [​IMG]

7. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Quote:Actually I'm hoping they ARE [​IMG]

8. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    and not to mention the fact that the dust is very dangerous to breath in, it can cause many different lung problems... can you leave the windows open and use a fan to exhaust the dust??

9. City Chicken Lady

City Chicken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Mongomery AL
    Quote:Great idea! I wish I had a garage!

10. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I would keep the garage door open as much as possible to ensure the enduring health of your birds. Chickens like to hop and climb on things, so consider putting something else in there to keep them occupied. I recommend using DE and lime to help with the smell. The birds will have to be exposed regularly to natural sunlight and fresh air. I believe it's a good alternative for those who can't put it all outdoors. May consider placing a piece of linoleum over the concrete area of the run to protect your garage floor. Everything looks very nice and neat. Know it'll never look that good again. LOL. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by