Garage floor living...yes/no?

secuono

Crowing
13 Years
May 29, 2010
Virginia
My buns live in the attached garage with our two big aquariums and where the dogs sleep. I was wondering if I made them runs, could they be directly on the cold concrete?

I've had guinea pigs on concrete with cardboard on the floor, but they got sick from it and died. Maybe there was a draft or their naked feet made them more susceptible? This is a new house, so the garage is a little different.

Anyway, I found two buns out escaped running around. Luckily no cables chewed or any fights. Thus I've been wondering with their larger size, fur feet and ability to get back into their cage, can they have run of the garage and be ok?

I was hoping to get wire fencing and making a large area fenced and letting a bun out into the area one at a time to play in. The area would go down along the 12ft in front of the cage row and go out maybe 4ft. I may divide it in half at 6ft to have two buns out at a time, since the cages are two long cages divided into 3 each.

What do you guys think?

Below is a picture I drew of the cages. Top is the current setup. Left cage[1] empty, 2 Tsunami, 3 Daisy, 4 Pearl, 5 Stella & 5 Cricket. Cricket is getting a new home, hopefully soon. This will allow for the bottom picture setup.
Left cage[1] Tsunami, 2 Daisy, 3 Pearl & 4 Stella.
cages.jpg

Last edited:
From what you're describing, it sounds like the bunnies will only be on the concrete to excercise and get out of the cages. I think in that case, it should be fine. Provide lots of bedding, towels, cardboard, etc. and I don't really foresee too many issues.

Went up to get pictures, but my camera battery died. So waiting for it to charge.
I put up a temporary run. Put down a couple towels, box of hay, box with cardboard padding & a bowl of water. So far Cricket, Tsunami, Daisy & Pearl have been out. Pearl is out right now. Daisy & Pearl both know where their cage is and how to get back in. I'm putting a small box in front of their door for them to hop out on and then down. Pearl is having the most fun out of all of them.
Going to try to let Stella out again after Pearl's time is up. Hopefully, I will have pictures by then, too.

Guinea pigs are from a very moderate climate and quite sensitive to hot and cold. They are at increased risk for illness below 60F or above 80F. Rabbits on the other hand handle cold weather well and are frequently kept in unheated buildings in all climates. They are a little sensitive to heat. So long as they can get off the concrete when they choose it should not be an issue.

If they are just down on the concrete for a little bit for exercise I think it would be ok, but if they are going to live full-time on it I would use heavy bedding, my favorite is bermuda grass, it's pretty, absorbent, not dusty, smells good, and easy to rake/ broom up!

Like you should be able to see in the picture, I open a bun's door and let them go play if they want. They can stay out or come back in. There's no water out in the run, only in their cage. So they need to go back 'home' to eat pellets or drink water. There is tons of hay out in the run, though.
So, yes, it's their choice how long they stay out and all.
I'm hoping during the summer, the concrete will cool them and the wire bottom will allow extra air to circulate.

I would do a few things so you don't end up with dead bunnies..
1- remove the paint cans. I am sure you are using them for a reason. but the rabbits will chew on the paper and possibly on the paint = dead bunnies
2- you have what looks like powder coated or rubber coated shelving for their bottom of the cage.. I would wrap the front of those with wood or paper.
3- check UNDER the cages to see if there is wiring you have for the garage but can't see unless you are looking at it lying down. ALSO, check the wood 2x4's
along the wall OR the dry wall, even the 2x4 that makes up a bottom brace.
EDITED to add, it looks like you are using Styrofoam as an insulator, make sure the bunnies can't nibble on it from underneath their cages. If urine leaks on it, they
might lick it and then could chew on it. Styrofoam can kill a bunny.
If a rabbit chews on those you could end up taking one to the vet for surgery or dead bunny.
There are a lot of things that you have there that could cause them to get impacted.
There is a reason people keep rabbits in galvanized steel, and in simple pine boxes for rabbit houses, they can get bored and chew on things.
They look like very nice bunnies, I have kept rabbits in the past, but hubby is allergic to them.
You can look up house hold dangers to "house" rabbits and it should help you to make their play area a safe and happy place!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom