Garage Hen House Established Spring 2015

fanke19

Hatching
May 12, 2015
South East Wisconsin
Started construction in May 2015. I laid out an area slightly larger than 5 foot by 5 foot in the back corner of our detached garage

Picked up about $30 in lumber and started framing in the hen house

I set up the door in the corner, kind of like a walk-in shower

I had to work on this over the course of a week so before the door was done I just screwed on a solid sheet of plywood to keep the chicks safe

Once the door was in place, I started making a couple makeshift ramps so the hens could get to the door leading outside

The hole is approximately 13" x 13" and I am planning to box it in before the end of the summer with an attractive entrance

It didn't take long for the chickens to get the idea

Next I started making some portable 8 foot long runs

The idea was to keep them contained in the runs

But now my wife prefers to let them free-range in the yard

Thanks guys
smile.png
I have many upgrades planned, I am addicted to looking up other coops here on BYC and on Pinterest LOL

Last night I happened upon a scene that I never thought could have happened. Before I go to bed, I always glance out the living room window to see that the heat lamp is on in hen house. Well, last night the coop was pitch black, so I hurried out to replace the lamp that I assumed had burned out. I get out there, and as I open the coop door with a new 250watt bulb in my hand, I saw something out of the corner of my eye that I knew was not a chicken.
I'm very thankful that this did not end terribly.

Last edited:
Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Some might fine chickens you have there. Good luck with your coop ideas!

Hi and welcome to BYC - good you found that possum before it did any damage. Guess thats another "upgrade" to do eh? I hope you enjoy being a member, and thanks for sharing your photos of your coop.

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom