1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Garage Hen House Established Spring 2015

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by fanke19, Aug 1, 2015.

1. fanke19

fanke19 New Egg

May 12, 2015
    South East Wisconsin
    Started construction in May 2015. I laid out an area slightly larger than 5 foot by 5 foot in the back corner of our detached garage

[​IMG]

Picked up about $30 in lumber and started framing in the hen house

[​IMG]

I set up the door in the corner, kind of like a walk-in shower

[​IMG]

I had to work on this over the course of a week so before the door was done I just screwed on a solid sheet of plywood to keep the chicks safe

[​IMG]

Once the door was in place, I started making a couple makeshift ramps so the hens could get to the door leading outside

[​IMG]

The hole is approximately 13" x 13" and I am planning to box it in before the end of the summer with an attractive entrance

[​IMG]

It didn't take long for the chickens to get the idea

[​IMG]

Next I started making some portable 8 foot long runs

[​IMG]

The idea was to keep them contained in the runs

[​IMG]

But now my wife prefers to let them free-range in the yard

[​IMG]

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Welcome to BYC! A very great idea for a hen house. :)

4. fanke19

fanke19 New Egg

May 12, 2015
    South East Wisconsin
    Thanks guys [​IMG] I have many upgrades planned, I am addicted to looking up other coops here on BYC and on Pinterest LOL

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined the Backyard chickens flock

6. fanke19

fanke19 New Egg

May 12, 2015
    South East Wisconsin
    Last night I happened upon a scene that I never thought could have happened. Before I go to bed, I always glance out the living room window to see that the heat lamp is on in hen house. Well, last night the coop was pitch black, so I hurried out to replace the lamp that I assumed had burned out. I get out there, and as I open the coop door with a new 250watt bulb in my hand, I saw something out of the corner of my eye that I knew was not a chicken. I'm very thankful that this did not end terribly.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft! Premium Member

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Some might fine chickens you have there. Good luck with your coop ideas!

8. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - good you found that possum before it did any damage. Guess thats another "upgrade" to do eh? I hope you enjoy being a member, and thanks for sharing your photos of your coop.

All the best
    CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by