Garage OK?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kpgoldstar, Oct 3, 2013.

1. kpgoldstar

kpgoldstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2013
    West Coast of Arizona
    Hi Everybody!
    I am new to chickens and posted this question on my State thread but no one answered. I will be getting my chicks from a feed store on Monday and they will be 6 days old. So I got my brooder box, have the construction sand for bedding, purchased my lamp and housing. I live in Arizona and it is still quite warm here and will be for at least another month. I was going to keep mine in the house, however this time of year we run the evaporative cooler since highs are still in the mid 90's and it is dry as a bone out there. So my house is usually well into the 60's at all times day and night.

We started thinking about keeping them in the garage. It is 88-93 in there depending on the time of day. It will gradually get cooler as the temps slowly drop outside. Perfect temperature for week old chicks and it should fall right along with their age schedule. I only worry about ventilation as the air in there can be pretty stale. I will have them right outside the door to the house so if needed I can open that door and let some of the swamp cooler air flow over them. Another concern is light. I think it will be too hot if I have any sort of lamp on them, but is light from the overhead fluorescents sufficient? Should I leave it on 24 hours? My plan is to coop/run them at about 4 weeks which will be early November when temps are 80's day and 55-ish at night.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Kristine

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They would have 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness had they been brooded by a mother hen. Chicks don't need 24 hours light.

I would have a small gooseneck lamp or even a work light with a 40 watt bulb available. The days at 93F are plenty hot enough, if that's how hot it is in the garage. If you find the nights, from midnight to 7 am, lower the temps in the garage to the high 70's you might need to supplement with a low wattage bulb setup.

You could open the garage door and "exchange the air" for a few hours each day. It'd probably be needed. LOL
    Hope this helps.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  3. kpgoldstar

Sep 25, 2013
    West Coast of Arizona
    Thanks Fred,

What I meant to say is that my garage is 88-93 at any given time in a 24 hour period. It doesn't cool down at night. It won't get into the 70's in there until Christmas! The daily air exchange sounds like a great idea. I just wasn't sure if they need a light shined directly into the brooder box or if the overhead fluorescents will be enough for them.

Kristine

4. ellieemae

ellieemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2013
    MD
    I'm in Maryland so my climate is different, but we started our babies in the house and then put them in the garage in a pen at around 8 weeks of age. It worked beautifully until they were ready to move outdoors to the coop.

5. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    I would open the garage door or windows to cool things down a bit as Fred suggested. It will also give fresh air. You could add a small watt desk lamp in the corner of the brooder or a night light if you wish. I like to have a corner brooder lamp available for the chicks until they are fully feathered out at around 7 or 8 weeks of age. I use a brooder lamp in the garage brooder (we open the overhead garage door in the morning and close it in the evening) and then move them out to the coop at about 5 weeks old where they also have a brooder lamp for a few more weeks. They then get to free range and join the flock! This is ideal since they can sit near or away from the heat source to stay comfortable as they grow. Good Luck!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. kpgoldstar

Sep 25, 2013
    West Coast of Arizona
    Thanks everyone for your help! 4 the birds, thank you especially for your pictures! Extremely helpful. As it turns out, the chicks we're getting will be just about 2 weeks old. There aren't very many places that have baby chicks where I live so my choices are limited. Our nearest feed store that has chicks is 3 hours away. We drove all the way down there today to find out the breeds they got in that are 3 days old will not work for my climate, so we called another place and they have RIR's that arrived last Friday. We will pick them up on Monday. According to the temp reduction method they will want to be at about 85 which is exactly what my garage is on a regular basis. I will add a brooder lamp just in the corner if they feel they need it. I will give some ventilation by opening the garage door and letting the evap air in which will do a complete exchange of air every 24 hours. If our temps stay normal, it will still be well into the 80's when they are 5 weeks at the end of the month. Lows can be in the 50's but with the sun on the coop all day, it will be plenty warm in there at night well into the end of November. I will monitor their behavior to see if I feel they need a small lamp once I transfer them to the coop. I will take pics and post when I get my chicks in a few days!
    Kristine

7. kpgoldstar

Sep 25, 2013
    West Coast of Arizona
    I got them!! YAY! Super excited. 4 RIR's just about 2 weeks old today. They are absolutely adorable!! I asked for bands when we were there but they don't sell them. I was like Oh Well, maybe we can tell them apart. Oh yes certainly!! They all have different coloring especially on their heads so they already have nicknames until we can name them based on personality. We brought a box with construction sand with us and placed them in there for the 3 hour ride home. We asked about food or water but were told they would be fine.

It was apparent that they were thirsty and hungry because the incessant picking started just a few minutes down the road. Some were even drawing blood and I was in a PANIC! One was particularly aggressive and she was on the small side. I was hoping I had someone to call to make sure this was normal behavior. I picked them up a couple at a time and let them ride on my lap. They got so cozy and comfy with me. I would go about 20 minutes then trade them out for the other two in the box. The whole way home I did this. They were already showing so much character! We had one that is the biggest and she could fly up on the edge of the box. Another was just obsessed with traveling up my arm and getting to my shoulder so she could pick on my hair.

We survived the trip, got them into their brooder. They drank and ate like there was no tomorrow! It is 90 in my garage so I opted not to have a brooder light in there due to their age. They are happy and content, bellies full, roosting together and hardly a peep out of them.
    [​IMG]
    Riding on my lap on the way home
    [​IMG]
    Home and they have figured out how to eat!
    [​IMG]
    One of my girls who insisted on riding my arm the whole way home!
    [​IMG]
    Happy healthy, CUTE!!!!

Kristine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by