Garden Arbors or Arches as runs?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Feather86, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Feather86

Feather86 New Egg

Sep 9, 2010
    Hi All -

I was just wondering if anyone has considered using (or has used) a series of Garden Arches or Arbors to provide support for a chicken-run? We've just moved and I've brought the coop along to the new place, but I was thinking that this time I'd rather have a chicken-run tall enough for me to stand in (making it easier to muck out and replace food and water) and maybe even make it a little prettier at the same time. I thought that I could place one Garden Arch at the beginning of the run, another in the middle, and a third at the back-end where I would place the coop itself. I'd space the arches out by about - 5 feet maybe? Then I could affix chicken wire to the sides and maybe put a corrugated plastic roof on top for run-off during rainy weather.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I think I can visualize what you're thinking, It sounds totally do-able. I did something like it with mine, but it mostly uses the strength of the wire bent into an arch, rather than overhead supports. You can look at my BYC page and see how I did it.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I did something similar, but on a smaller scale, for one of my tractors. I used metal crop row hoops (picture on my BYC page). If you do a search here using the term "hoop coop" you should come up with some useful threads.

p.s. Just be aware if you do use chicken wire that it won't keep predators out! You need to use something stronger (like welded wire) for predator protection.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I had an existing arbor and built an open air pen under it.

[​IMG]

Easier to see in this pic. The original part is to the right. You can see the existing vine up the front corner. Then I expanded to the left and have another small semi-open coop/pen. It is very hot and muggy here in the summer.

[​IMG]

sharon

5. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    Kinda sounds like you're describing a "hoop house". Farm supply stores sell "cattle panels" of welded wire that are 4' x 16'. Bend 'em lengthwise and they make a nice arbor of very sturdy welded wire. Link a few together and you have an arched run - similar in shape to Gallo's. If you do a search for "hoop house" you can get a better visual of what i'm talking about.

6. wiss0023

wiss0023 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:I love this Sharon, and have plans to do something very similar next spring. My idea is to make a large arbor and put my coop under the arbor (with wire and climbing vines for shade and beautification). Very cool.

7. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

I was going to suggest you go and check out Gallo del Cielo's personal page but he beat me to it.
    Really cool though.

8. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    [​IMG] Fun ideas!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by