Garden, chicken coop help jail save money

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Farmer31, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Farmer31

Farmer31 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Sandusky County puts inmates to work

FREMONT -- Sandusky County Sheriff Kyle Overmyer has heard the laughter, shrugged off the "jail bird" jokes, and happily restocked his jail's chicken coop for a second season.

"People laughed at me, laughed about the idea of the chickens, but it turned out to be something that actually worked," he said.

For the second summer in a row, inmates at the Sandusky County jail are raising a small brood of chickens -- 60 White Mountain Broilers that are almost ready for butchering -- in a small coop in a fenced-in area behind the sheriff's office. Beyond the coop is a lush green vegetable garden where inmates raise crops ranging from sweet corn to cantaloupe for the jail's kitchen.

Sheriff Overmyer said that because vegetable seeds, chicken feed, and all expenses are covered by donations, the miniature farm saves the county thousands of dollars a year. "I'm very blessed with what kind of citizens we have in Sandusky County, to donate the money to take a dream and make it a reality," he said.

Complete Article Here

2. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    That is a terrific idea! I would love to see homeless shelters do this too. There is one that I know of that does this. I think it is wonderful to help yourself.

3. Arkantex

Arkantex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    West Texas
    Thats awesome. There is a special needs boarding school in Midland and they have 2 green houses that they grow produce in year round and they set up a big garden in the warmer months as well. I haven't seen any chickens over there yet though.

4. Farmer31

Farmer31 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Quote:This idea is cool for orphanages, old homes and other areas

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Glad it worked.Butchering will be the hard part,but hopefully they appreciate the benefits of homegrown.Raising rabbits for meat would be good too.More poo for the gardens too!

6. kcjones

kcjones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Thats a great idea

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by