Garden disaster & Cover crops for ducks?

Niche Flock

Songster
5 Years
Mar 22, 2017
My ducks have (unintentionally) destroyed my garden area.
I grew a small vegetable garden this year, and I have the beginnings of two perennial flower gardens on the perimeter of the fenced in area. My fence wasn't high enough around the veggie garden and they got in and did what ducks do best:eat.
I eventually gave up, harvested what I could, removed the fence they kept tripping over to eat my kale and let the ducks do their thing.
The area around my garden is a great place to forage, it is mowed and maintained, but I'd rather they stay in their free range area to forage. I have a large fenced in free range area where their kiddie pool is, and a gate to keep them in there. Recently, the Khaki campbells and a couple of Welsh Harlequins have either found their wings or are squeezing through a tiny hole to get on my neighbors property. This is very stressful as I have to either catch them to but on the right side of the fence or herd them through. When the gate is open and they can go into the garden area & there are no escapees.

Thinking of converting the garden area into apart of their foraging space, but I am looking for suggestions of grass or grain cover crops to plant for them to supplement their feed and help with forage.
Currently, the remaining grass growing in my garden area is spotty, with weeds moving in and larger soil patches forming. People that don't know how ducks live, see it and think they live in squalor.

Any suggestions appreciated or anyone who has experience with re-seeding an area, please help! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom