Garden Dried Up, Weeds Took Over, Chickens' Delight! (Pics)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, Jul 26, 2011.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Couldn't run enough water to keep the garden alive so we let it go. No rain till last night so we had a plot full of grass, clover, weeds and dead stuff. Hens in the main laying flock were let in to run wild with Isaac supervising the clean up and they were thrilled, of course. Here are some pics from today's chicken feast. Also, my 20 week old Silver Phoenix, Molly, laid her first egg today, pic also included!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yea, Molly!

[​IMG]

2. ouracrybaby

ouracrybaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Wellsburg
    sorry about your garden, but I bet your chickens are not lol. congrats on the egg too!

3. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    turning a bad thing into a good, bad for you but good for the chickens....... I have thrown my hands up at my garden as well, no stickin' rain!!!! and the deer ate all my corn... and the squash bugs got all the squash...... hey, there's always next year right!!!

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    They are having a blast! Good looking flock!

5. teeville5

teeville5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Michigan
    That is one happy group! [​IMG]
    Nice flock. [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They were having a great time, for sure! Guess the older hens in the other coop can investigate in there tomorrow.

Oh, btw, if anyone needs a really sweet, smart young rooster for their flock, check out this guy I have to rehome: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=546424

He is Isaac's son with my EE, June (she's in the 5th pic down, head to head with Ike) and is really a great youngster. I just need him out of my breeding BR flock soon before he's fertile. He's already mating the girls at 11 weeks old!

7. Rockin' Reds

Rockin' Reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    Aww....great pictures! Sorry you lost your garden, that sucks. However, it appears that the chickens do not even seem slightly sorry about it. [​IMG]

8. PAH111

PAH111 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    That's a really nice first egg! My friends first had no shell on it...

9. 1AcreRooster

1AcreRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Beautiful flock you got there [​IMG] congrats on the egg

10. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Lovely flock that are helping keep the weeds in line.
    Grats on Molly's egg. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by